This ash???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokinPiney

Feeling the Heat
Nov 25, 2008
In the Pines, NJ
A month or so ago we took down what i thought was an ash with a whole mess of oaks. And splittin it sure is a mess! Correct me if im wrong but i thought yall always said ash was a breeze to split? Or do i not have ash on my hands??

Wood027.jpg

This stuff's stringy as sweet gum!

No, not Ash, Elm.

You've been elmed!!!! :lol: Pain to split but heats fine...

Hello all, I've been reading posts here for awhile and thought it was time to join in. Great pic, and I would say you have some hickory there. Have had to take down a few that were too close to the house, and your pic looks familiar. Great to burn and nice aroma.

The wood sure looks exactly like elm but I have never seen elm with bark like that.

Thats Hickory, my guess is young shagbark or from a shagbark crown. It gets twisted and stringy.
Hickory can hybridize with each other making one sample of wood hard to identify by bark alone. Got any pics from the trunk, it will look totally different.

WoodButcher

Attachments

• hickory_001.jpg
    hickory_001.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 524
  • hickory_002.jpg
    hickory_002.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 574
  • hickory_003.jpg
    hickory_003.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 548
  • hickory_004.jpg
    hickory_004.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 537
Here is what Pignut and shagbark trunks look like.

WoodButcher

Attachments

• pig_shag.jpg
    pig_shag.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 523
wendell said:
The wood sure looks exactly like elm but I have never seen elm with bark like that.
The Elm around here has bark that looks exactly like that. It is a very distinctive diamond stretch pattern.

LLigetfa, The elm here looks like that but the bark is yellowish.

Yes, the colour is off and the tree was long dead. Also, that picture must be of an overcast day. Look at the blueish hues in the background.

Pig hickory eh? I didn't know we had that in this area.

Just looked up pig hickory leaves and that's it!
carglats.jpg

SmokinPiney said:
Not fair. You didn't say you had a leaf sample. That one piece of wood you showed sure looked dead.

Pig nuts are much smaller than Shagbark. I burned a bunch of Pignut over the past couple years....although Shagbark is more dominant here in Northeast CT.
Make sure you season that stuff good, split & stacked no less than 18 months and you will reap 100% of it's BTU's

WoodButcher

Attachments

• hickories.jpg
    hickories.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 355
LLigetfa said:
SmokinPiney said:
Not fair. You didn't say you had a leaf sample. That one piece of wood you showed sure looked dead.

Haha sorry LL! I assumed it was an ash because the leaves were similiar and i had no idea we had hickory in the area. That tree was standin among some oaks we took down and it was alive and well. I didn't see any of the "nuts" either. And that stuff is freakin dense! Compared to a white oak log of the exact size it had to weigh twice as much!

And that weight means to you that there is lots of heat in that wood once it is properly seasoned. Great find, even if it is a pain to split. Another reason I love my hydraulic splitter!

Status
Not open for further replies.