This look like three cords?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KJamesJR

Feeling the Heat
Jan 8, 2018
New Hampshire
Thinking of having a couple of these trucks delivered to the house. Post says three cords a load @ $120. Mostly oak and maple. Does this look like three cords to y’all?

Attachments

• 39A49AE2-6A1B-46F0-9B2C-B39B97BFE756.png
    39A49AE2-6A1B-46F0-9B2C-B39B97BFE756.png
    580 KB · Views: 873
Thinking of having a couple of these trucks delivered to the house. Post says three cords a load @ $120. Mostly oak and maple. Does this look like three cords to y’all?
Pure guess without knowing the size of the truck box and length of the logs. I'd say 2 cords per load.

Reactions: JimBear
That's a very "loose" stack even if the volume adds up to 384 cubic feet. Remember cords are a volume measurement. Log length loose stacks are full of air. Cut it,split it and stack it and you could have 25% to 33% less volume. If its good and a mix of species (no poplar) it might be worth it to get start.

cord = 128 cu.ft.= 4.47 cu.yd.

3 cords = 14.22 cu.yd.

So if the dump truck has a 14 cu.yd. box (not uncommon), then something approaching three cords is not unreasonable. The pictured truck is missing an axle to be a common 14 yarder, and that's probably why they have a couple feet of logs hanging out the back.

[ EDITED: math correction ]

Last edited:
Reactions: blacktail
cord = 128 cu.ft. = 14.22 cu.yd.

So if the dump truck has a 14 cu.yd. box (not uncommon), then something approaching three cords is not unreasonable..
I like your method better than mine, but since I already started typing, here's how I do it:

D = Average diameter of log in inches
L = average length of logs in feet
N = number of logs

A = pi/144*(D/2)^2 = average cross-section in sq.ft.
V = A*L*N = total volume of wood in cu.ft.
cords = V / 85

Most fuel calculators estimate a cord at 85 cubic feet of solid wood (128 cu.ft. stacked), which is the basis of that last equation. Knowing pi/144 is roughly 1/46, one can usually do this pretty quickly in their head. Here's an example, not using your log truck, as I can't really guess these numbers from the photo, but just some hypothetical load:

D = 12 inches
L = 20 ft
N = 30 logs

A = 36/46 = approx 0.8 sq.ft. (or close enough in my head, when I'm standing outside in the cold)
V = 0.8*600 = 480 cuft.
C = 480 / 85 = about 5.5 (since 5*85 would be 425 and 6*85 would be 510)

You can do the math more accurately with a calculator, but since the starting numbers are just averages/guesses anyway, I don't see much point in busting out the slide rule.

Again, TreePointer's way is better, but this works in the field when it's not on a truck... which is usually where I'm doing it.

Reactions: TreePointer
The seller said it’s 3 cords exact so I’m guessing it’s probably less than that as I like to error on the side of caution.

cord = 128 cu.ft. = 14.22 cu.yd.

So if the dump truck has a 14 cu.yd. box (not uncommon), then something approaching three cords is not unreasonable. The pictured truck is missing an axle to be a common 14 yarder, but that's probably why they have a couple feet of logs hanging out the back.
27cuft / cu yd
About 4.7 yds
Just sayin

Reactions: TreePointer
I get 30 yd. dumps of misc logs from a tree guy sold as 4.5 - 6 cord loads. They generally stack out to about 5. I pay 275 and am happy to do so and come home to find a nice stack of logs right in my splitting area. I’d say it’s worth it if you can see the value in skipping all the dropping and hauling.

Oops, I got ahead of myself.

Should be 3 cords = 14.22 cubic yards

Thanks!
After reading more I got the gist of it. Do other states have quarantine areas for diseases? If I had some brought in here would that be an issue? Se Wi.

Do other states have quarantine areas for diseases? If I had some brought in here would that be an issue? Se Wi.

A decade ago and longer it was common to see smaller quarantine regions within states or small multi-state regions, but that all changed in the Midwest & East with the advent of EAB. These days, I play it safe by assuming there are restrictions in every state about transporting firewood across state lines and sometimes across county/region boundaries.

The general exception is for certified kiln dried firewood which normally is permitted to be transported just about anywhere.

If I lived near a state line and wanted some wood from the other side, I'd contact my state forestry agency to be sure.

Last edited:
Here, we are quarantined by county! It’s a PITA, since we’re in an older part of the country, where county lines aren’t exactly straight. The property where I cut is mostly in my county, but their driveway crosses the county line.

This started back before EAB got here, with the Thousand Cankers disease on Walnut trees. We have a LOT of Walnut, around here.

dang near the whole southeastern part of wi is under the eab quarantine. wi dnr web sight lists the areas and what can or can't be transported in / out /or both

This is not 3 cords. That truck body is 7ft wide. The lenth is 9ft and the height that looks to be about 4.5 ft high.. thats comes to be 2.21 cords stacked tight which it is not.. i think you have just 2 cords.. but that being said.. the price of 120 is worh it all day long.. get the wood while the getting is good

Just to clarify, it's $120 per cord. So they're charging $360 for the truck.
Than thats not a great deal its an not so great deal at 180 per cord that you need to cut and split.. you should ask what the lenth od log is as well as the height of the truck.. the body with is standard at 7ft so we know that.. than do the math..

Than thats not a great deal its an not so great deal at 180 per cord that you need to cut and split.. you should ask what the lenth od log is as well as the height of the truck.. the body with is standard at 7ft so we know that.. than do the math..
It's 120/cord. I asked him how long the logs were about.

He also has another ad on Craiglist with more pictures is seems. I cant really tell what a lot of that is. red maple maybe?

Attachments

• 00303_9RYCWmGemah_1200x900.jpg
    00303_9RYCWmGemah_1200x900.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 284
I count about 25 logs at 12ft long, maybe 1ft dia each give or take
235 cu ft
1.83 cord

It's 120/cord. I asked him how long the logs were about.

He also has another ad on Craiglist with more pictures is seems. I cant really tell what a lot of that is. red maple maybe?

Your missing the math.. its 360 for the truck.. if the truck is only holding 2 cords that would be 360 divided by 2 is 180 for the 2 cords recived
If the logs are 12 long than the truck is holding approx 378 cuft or 2.95 cords.. with the air gap its short of the 3 cords..im thinking your at 2.5 cords if you get 2.5 cords out if it thats 144 per cord.. thats not bad for log lenth and worth doing..