This Year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigg_Redd

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 19, 2008
Shelton, WA
This year I'll be cutting wood with the same 290 I've had since 2003. I'll be hauling it in the same 1999 Dodge 3500 I've had since 2007. And I'll be splitting it with the same Fiskars Pro-Splitting Ax I've had since 2009.

Don't hate. . .

What!?!!? No moisture meter! ; )

I'll be cussin' myself for not getting the stuff out o' the woods before the heat, insects, and poison ivy come around !!

Sharin' the love...

Bigg_Redd said:
This year I'll be cutting wood with the same 290 I've had since 2003. I'll be hauling it in the same 1999 Dodge 3500 I've had since 2007. And I'll be splitting it with the same Fiskars Pro-Splitting Ax I've had since 2009.

Don't hate. . .

Sounds like a rough life you got there.

This year I'll be cutting with my 455 Jonsered (30 years old) that I bought at a yard sale for $80 and my MS210c Stihl (free). I will be hauling with my '88 GMC 3500, and splitting with my fiskars (forgot what year I bought it). As soon as I am flush, I will be buying the new long handle fiskars.

This year I'll be cutting with a brand new Husqvarna 359 and splitting ost of my stuff with my new Speeco 5 ton electric splitter, but the truck and all the hand tools remain constant.

What's the deal? Doesn't seem like you've been around lately. I've missed your humor...

Sounds like you could be cuttin' quicker, drivin' more comfortably, and splittin' easier to me!
JK, MR. Big Redd, sir, I completely get the 'old hoss' mentality as I love my old Wilton vice, dad's 1960's drill press, etc.

S

Bigg_Redd, it's been two years since you picked up the Fiskars, splurge on something. At least buy a new chain for crying out loud. :ahhh:

Yup. . . looks like I'll just be muddling through another year of cutting without a moister meter, a hydraulic splitter, and a "pro" saw.

*sigh*

Bigg_Redd said:
Yup. . . looks like I'll just be muddling through another year of cutting without a moister meter, a hydraulic splitter, and a "pro" saw.

*sigh*
OMG, it's like you are living in the dark ages. Have you thought about replacing the Fiskars with the longer handled one?

Bigg_Redd said:

*sigh*

Your going to freeze to death!

I hear ya. I had bad credit at one time too.

BrotherBart said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bigg_Redd said:

*sigh*

I have a NOS 1930's Disston No. 64 5ft tuttle tooth 2 man crosscut & 1940's Plumb 5lb double bit axe I'll rent to you... ;-)

1998 026Pro
1998 wheelbarrow
1928 maul ( not sure of the date on that one , it's inherited it, may have been my grandfather's)
2000 Tacoma ( TRD is not a good wood hauler) luckily I just make a phone call to get rid of the stuff I can't handle
(did the I can split anything thing years ago- life's too short to keep doing it)

I will be toughing it out with my '96 029, '70 F350, and '09 Fiskars.

Danno77 said:
Bigg_Redd said:

*sigh*
OMG, it's like you are living in the dark ages. Have you thought about replacing the Fiskars with the longer handled one?

No. . . somehow, at 6'2", I've been dextrous enough over the last couple years to never even come close to hitting myself

*sigh*

smokinjay said:
Bigg_Redd said:

*sigh*

Probably. But without a moisture meter and hydraulic splitter I deserve it, no?

*sigh*

Bigg_Redd said:
smokinjay said:
Bigg_Redd said:

*sigh*

Probably. But without a moisture meter and hydraulic splitter I deserve it, no?

*sigh*

Pic's of this ghost 290 and ax or it never even happend!

BrotherBart said:

I know, right? How will I ever know when my wood is "seasoned"?!?!!!? And how will I ever get it split or sawed??!!?

*sigh*

I bought a brand new 346xp (pro saw) yesterday to go with my 372xp (pro saw). I have a non pro saw 50 special as well which I use when I want to take twice as much time as I would with the pro saws:) The paid for Nissan Titan (it's fast and powerful too) and paid for tandem axle trailer are tools in the inventory anyhow. I like to split by hand and want to try one of the new Fiskars long handled models. No sigh here. I made the decision at 45 to buy proven saws that hopefully will have parts availability for a LONG time.

I appreciate your frugality though! Or I am not getting the point of your post.

Saw 026 pro with a 16 inch bar; My Subaru Baja for bringing the wood home, I need to get a Fiskars but my FIL has a hydro splitter and that is where the wood is at.

Now if i can only get him to let me use the saw as he feels it's too dangerous for me......

But at least he lets me split by my self...

Status
Not open for further replies.