Those using draft inducers ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

taxidermist

Minister of Fire
Mar 11, 2008
Fowlerville MI
If you have a draft inducer installed on your boiler what has been the outcome?

1. Did it solve your smoke out the door issues

2. What brand do you have (inducers)

3. Where in the pipe is it installed

4. Are you using insulated pipe or standard pipe

I know that you should wait to load it untill all the wood is burned down,this is not my problem, my problem is after I get a fire going in the morning and I come in the house to let a bed of coals form and take a shower I go back out to load the boiler before I head to work and end up smelling like I just got done fighting a house fire. I am looking for ways to make a inducer work on these units so if you have any pics of your install send them to me at [email protected]

Thank you,
Rob Porter

1. It will not eliminate the smoke out the door problem although it will help. 2. I have a tjurland (not spelled right). Its variable speed and seems to trouble free. 3. I have it installedabout half way betweenthe exhaust outlet and the exit out the wall. 4. I have standard pipe from the boiler to the insulated sleeve through the wall and insulated the next 20 feet outside. Join the crowd of happy wives of accusing us boiler owners of putting our heads in them when we fill them. Just can in from filling mine, just a few coals left but before I could get it full I got smoked up. I tell my wife "do you want heat or not" ussually all I get is that look.

hi mule man, how do you like your adobe? ihave greenwood 100 no storage yet .iam not sure if i need it? trying to figure out burn time by out side temp and how much wood i load in.i agre with all you have said about the draft inducers,at least out side you dont smoke out the house.my daughter goes to school in dulth. right on the lake.

I am using a Tjernlund AD-1 draft inducer on my Econoburn EBW-200. It helps, but doesn't totally get rid of the smoke. FWIW... It is best to wire those on a double pole switch... one line to the boiler controls, one to the draft inducer. This way, you can't leave the draft inducer on accidentally as long as you remember to turn the boiler back on after filling... if the draft inducer gets left on, your system will likely overheat.

If the smoke is still an issue for you after you install the draft inducer, you could have someone make you a hood out of some thin steel connected to some small ductwork and a small fan to exhaust the smoke outdoors. Shouldn't cost more than a hundred bucks or so if you install it yourself.

One thing that helps me is that I get all the wood I am going to load set on a small stand right beside the boiler... that way, I open the boiler when the fire has burned to coals... and load it up fast before it gets a chance to smoke. Works pretty good. It definitely doesn't pay to load when you have a smoldering fire in the box.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.