Chimney Extension

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Do you know why they tac welded the door air vents closed? Would it run too hot if opened? Or is it a USA requirement?
Left over from the early days when that was the air control and there was no secondary combustion air. They were replaced by the lever controllable and more efficient air wash primary air feed.

Reactions: jjf888
Those may also be for use in Europe where these stoves may be multi fuel stoves

Left over from the early days when that was the air control and there was no secondary combustion air. They were replaced by the lever controllable and more efficient air wash primary air feed.
When running your stove, when do you close off the primary air feed?

When running your stove, when do you close off the primary air feed?
As soon as possible after the fire starts burning robustly. This is done in increments just to the point of the flames getting lazier, then wait for the fire to regain strength and close it down some more.

How long does this usually take you? In years past, I would fire up the HVAC on really cold mornings to take the chill out as we keep the house cold at night to sleep better. But now with the increase in fuel costs, I am relying more on the wood stove to get the house warmed up. Although I've been using the stove for years, it feels like I learn something new every year, be it how to best cut/store the wood, to fine tuning the morning placement of starter wood.

How long does this usually take you? In years past, I would fire up the HVAC on really cold mornings to take the chill out as we keep the house cold at night to sleep better. But now with the increase in fuel costs, I am relying more on the wood stove to get the house warmed up. Although I've been using the stove for years, it feels like I learn something new every year, be it how to best cut/store the wood, to fine tuning the morning placement of starter wood.
This depends on a lot of factors, most importantly the dryness of the wood, kindling, and the volume of wood. With all things right, a cold startup from ignition to shutting the air down takes about 15-20 minutes typically. I leave one of the doors slightly open for the first 5 minutes or so. The stove will continue to warm up for about 45 minutes. (The warm-up time varies a lot with the stove construction.) The Morso 2110 heats up pretty quickly but does not have the capacity for an overnight burn.

In contrast, if we are burning 24/7 in our home T6, then there is no need for the HVAC to do a morning warmup unless it's very cold out. The cast iron jacket provides a lot of mass that continues releasing heat throughout the night. Our stove will still have a 250-300º stovetop temp after 8-10 hrs. or more if burning hardwood but this is with a firebox that's about 2.5 larger.

Last edited:
Is your chimney supported by a tree? That's fricken awesome
Until the next 'quake, when the yurt goes up like a marshmallow that's held to close to the flame! 😯😉

Until the next 'quake, when the yurt goes up like a marshmallow that's held to close to the flame! 😯😉
Not likely at all due to many factors including not many earthquakes in that area and the stove is just used occasionally. The 10" cedar was treated at the base and has gravel drainage. The soil is dry and sandy. It's standing up well.
FWIW, they don't live in the yurt and have a Summit in the house.

Yes, keeping the whole system at 6" will definitely help. The optimal installation would be going straight up and through the roof with at least a 14' flue system. Next best would be to connect to a stainless, class A chimney system in place of the cold, 8" clay tile chimney. Or, a 6" stainless liner could be dropped into the 8" tile and that too would help, though it will still need extending.
So it's time for me to re-work this setup. Is it best to use double or triple walled pipe if I have to go up through a ceiling? I have thought about keeping the 90degree bend and putting a liner in the clay chimney. But keeping the 90 seems to be keeping a bottleneck in place.

Triple-wall chimney pipe is economy-grade. it will work, but double-wall chimney has better construction and insulation.