Thoughts on this build out?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tyreese27

Oct 14, 2021
So I have a pleasant hearth stove heats 1800sq had in in the garage to heat it and then had fan blowing the heat inside the house which kept the house warm with lot of wood. Im building a bump out in the garage along the wall thats next to the living room. So framing a big enclosed box in the garage and opening the wall up going into the living room. See pictures I attach. I have 2x4 for the frame 1 inch copper spacers in between the 1/2 inch Hardie backer board then going to tile the inside. The stove is gonna be 15 inches away from the back wall and 23.5 inches on the one side wall and 20.5-21 inches on the other side wall.

My main concern is do you think that is enough wall protection? I was also thinking of putting 1/4 ceramic fiber insulation by each 2x4 to help cut down on the thermal heat coming off the back board.

Thoughts?

IMG_20220719_200624.jpg IMG_20220719_200518.jpg IMG_20220719_200608.jpg IMG_20220719_201648.jpg

So I have a pleasant hearth stove heats 1800sq had in in the garage to heat it and then had fan blowing the heat inside the house which kept the house warm with lot of wood. Im building a bump out in the garage along the wall thats next to the living room. So framing a big enclosed box in the garage and opening the wall up going into the living room. See pictures I attach. I have 2x4 for the frame 1 inch copper spacers in between the 1/2 inch Hardie backer board then going to tile the inside. The stove is gonna be 15 inches away from the back wall and 23.5 inches on the one side wall and 20.5-21 inches on the other side wall.

My main concern is do you think that is enough wall protection? I was also thinking of putting 1/4 ceramic fiber insulation by each 2x4 to help cut down on the thermal heat coming off the back board.

Thoughts?

View attachment 297161 View attachment 297162 View attachment 297163 View attachment 297164
Does the box meet the alcove installation requirements of the stove you have? If not it doesn't meet code and could pose a very serious safety issue

Does the box meet the alcove installation requirements of the stove you have? If not it doesn't meet code and could pose a very serious safety issue
There is no alcove spec in the manual. It doesn't look like this stove was ever intended for an alcove installation. The ceiling height requirement for it is 96". The side and back clearances also are not being honored. This is not a safe install, no insulation is going to correct it.

Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 1.10.09 PM.png :ZZZ:ZZZ:ZZZ

Last edited:
Reactions: rijim
There is no alcove spec in the manual. It doesn't look like this stove was ever intended for an alcove installation. The ceiling height requirement for it is 96". This is not a safe install, no insulation is going to correct it.
I called the manufacturer and they said has to be 22 inches clearance on the top.

I called the manufacturer and they said has to be 22 inches clearance on the top.
Did they provide that specification in writing? Did you tell them that your alcove is just heat shielded wood framing?

Last edited:
Reactions: clancey
22" is super close ceiling height above the stovetop for any wood stove in an alcove. Sounds like they did not understand the application.

Reactions: clancey
No? Why's that?
An insert needs a fireplace to be put into. This is just a framed box with some heat shields. An insert would be just as dangerous if not more so

Reactions: Hoytman
22 inches is beyond suspect for that stove in a wood framed box. Offhand I can recall zero makes/models with that small a clearance. Not even close. Please be safe here.

22 inches is beyond suspect for that stove in a wood framed box. Offhand I can recall zero makes/models with that small a clearance. Not even close. Please be safe here.
Yes, I am wondering if they were referring to the side clearance instead. That would make more sense.

Reactions: moresnow
An insert needs a fireplace to be put into. This is just a framed box with some heat shields. An insert would be just as dangerous if not more so
Hmm...this heat must have fried my brain...having trouble figuring out how that could be (more dangerous)

Hmm...this heat must have fried my brain...having trouble figuring out how that could be (more dangerous)
I don't know if it is more dangerous or not. Inserts are only ever tested to go inside a working woodburning fireplace.

Yeah I plan on building the box enclosure all the way up to the ceiling just to be safe.

Update on the build out have it going all the way to the ceiling. Started tiling little bit waiting for the weather to cool down little bit to cut out the hole into the living room and finish the last side of the wall. Then finish tiling it, put the stove in and run the pipes through the roof.

IMG_20220729_195512.jpg

If you want the inner walls that are on spacers to function as a heat shield, the space behind them needs a free flow of air. This means that they have a 1" gap off the floor and a 1" gap at the top before the ceiling.

If you want the inner walls that are on spacers to function as a heat shield, the space behind them needs a free flow of air. This means that they have a 1" gap off the floor and a 1" gap at the top before the ceiling.
I have one inch gap from the bottom to 4 feet up after that. After that it's drywall which is far enough away from the stove from the manual clearances from combustibles

Here is an update on the build out have it all framed out, four foot high tile and the rest drywall. Just have to grout the tile, put frame border around it and install the stove/pipes.

IMG_20220809_205143.jpg

No way I would ever put a stove in that. Yikes. Please listen to the pros on here that have chimed in.

Here is an update on the build out have it all framed out, four foot high tile and the rest drywall. Just have to grout the tile, put frame border around it and install the stove/pipes.

View attachment 297730
So no 1" ventilated air gap as mentioned in previous threads? Did Pleasant Hearth provide clearances for an alcove? These can be greater due to the enclosed space.
What is the ceiling height?

Status
Not open for further replies.