Thoughts on this product Magic Heat™ Reclaimer for Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't have one. Not gonna have one. Don't buy anything that has the word "magic" in its name. I want my flue gas to stay as warm as it can stay on its journey up to daylight, to minimize the condensation of creosote in my stovepipe/chimney. My woodstoves, with their secondary burn, already provide the heat they were designed to provide. There are practical limits and trade-offs involved in just how much heat you can squeeze out of a woodburning space heater. Others will undoubtedly have differing opinions. That's OK with me too. Rick

Agreed, you'll not see one on my stove.

I doubt it's any worse than having 8' of exposed single-wall pipe, which represents a far greater surface area. After seeing how little creosote my Ultima leaves in its air-cooled, external-chase chimney, I'm not sure how big a deal it is as long as it doesn't hurt your draft. But if it really works as well as it claims, then it probably would hurt your draft.

Notice they recommend the "cleaner". I get 90% of my creosote in the 5' of vented double wall inside my house. I'd imagine a bunch of tubes close together like that building up creosote would restrict as well as cool to effect draft. But then again, I don't get that much buildup.

I tried a similar product once, on my old Fisher stove. (I didn't buy buy it, it was there when I bought the house). The stove is in the basement, feeding into a outside masonry chimney, not an ideal set-up. Well, with the heat reclaimer the stove would hardly draft at all, so I took it off. Probably not a good idea on a modern EPA stove.

I think the one quasi-legitimate use for something like that would be for stoves with little if any exposed stovepipe and excellent draft. But it seems it's only practical to install it on freestanding stoves with vertical pipe runs, which would generally have lots of pipe.

Of those 60 people that loved it, Pook was probably 15 of the responses. :lol: (just joking there)

The EPA stoves of today have the ability to control air to its minimum safe level. That also means that the heat going up the stack is a "minimum". I don't think I would do anything beyond required piping that would reduce that. Just one dudes opinion.

i don't need any more heat being blown into my room.... i have no fans what so ever and my room easily reaches 94 degrees and the rest of the house at 75

fossil said:
Don't have one. Not gonna have one. Don't buy anything that has the word "magic" in its name.

Agreed. I also aviod things made from "space age" polymers. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.