Thoughts on this quote to install 4 wood inserts + 2 gas inserts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
One would have to wonder as well the difficulty one would have trying to prove to an insurance company after the fact that their house met these exemptions.
Yeah not interested in doing that. My friend is in insurance and he sees a lot of claims come through at HQ of a big one firm. They will challenge all as the goal is revenue making, not net 0 thus the onus will also be on the homeowner to have accurate records. In this case likely having a blower test done and kept in a safe or somewhere a fire would not get at it.

Having dealt with an adjuster on one house insurance claim all my life (frozen pipe burst), every day and conversation with him was stressful. He nickle and dimed us and I can guarantee he is rewarded by his boss on smaller payouts then big ones.

Reactions: bholler
All I can say is, my house is like swiss cheese. Trust me, I get fresh air all the time. Ive had frozen pipes a few times. They usually burst when you thaw them out. SUCKS! I just let the hot water drip, now its all good.

All I can say is, my house is like swiss cheese. Trust me, I get fresh air all the time. Ive had frozen pipes a few times. They usually burst when you thaw them out. SUCKS! I just let the hot water drip, now its all good.
Please try to stay atleast somewhat on topic. We aren't talking about frozen pipes

Frozen pipes were brought up in the previous post which you liked.
Oops you are correct. I was liking the part about insurance adjusters. But my apologies

Reactions: kborndale
While the original plan has since been modified, it did make me contemplate the general wisdom of giving private control of a woodburner to guests in one's home by installing one in their bedroom. Doesn't seem like the best idea to me.

That, and 76 grand buys a helluva lot of whatever fuel you want to name. No way I'd spend that to work at getting heat! But, yeah, I get it. This is all about ambiance. Though, if I had that to spend on ambiance, I'd probably be putting in gas appliances that light themselves, don't require constant tending or cleanup, and run off of a thermostat.

Last edited:
It seems we have long since evaluating the costs you have been given as estimates, but I wanted to chime in. Philly metro home of same era as OP. I got 4 estimates on 2 fireplaces... Each came in between $9k and $11k for the ~2 cu ft wood inserts.

I wouldn't do all the work at once, even if you have 3+ wood burners in the end. Get some of it done maybe and see how you like it. Get a heat pump!