Thoughts on this Stihl MH290 on Craigslist?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Looking for a second saw - does this seems like a good deal? Cheers!

I have that saw and like it very much. I paid more. When you see it you will know if it is really that new. Go for it.

I believe that saw here goes for somewhere around $450......if it looks low usage, you may wanna give it a go

rwhite said:
I'd pay the extra $70 for a warranty and piece of mind.

Yep - for that price, me too. What would be the tipping point for you? $250? Cheers!

rwhite said:

Yup. Buy it new at a dealer close to you. Hopefully they have their own repair shop as well. Then if you have any problems you can bring it to them and they will fix it or replace it. I own a Farm Boss MS290. Have had no problems with it. Love it. But if you buy used and something is wrong with it......

NH_Wood said:
rwhite said:

Yep - for that price, me too. What would be the tipping point for you? $250? Cheers!

If they had some proof of age (it may still be under warranty) and bar and chain were good I may go $250. Keep in mind that a new bar and chain will run $75 or so.

rwhite said:
NH_Wood said:
rwhite said:

If they had some proof of age (it may still be under warranty) and bar and chain were good I may go $250. Keep in mind that a new bar and chain will run $75 or so.

Right. I'd like a second saw for when I pinch my Dolmar, etc. - perhaps I'll just save up a little more cash and go new to avoid problems - I can do the maintenance work, but not good at major mechanical fixes. Cheers!

Condition is everything.......Now 70.00 off list and no tax's is what your really looking at. So, condition condition condition!

smokinjay said:
Condition is everything.......Now 70.00 off list and no tax's is what your really looking at. So, condition condition condition!

I hear you Jay - unfortunately, I'm not one for knowing if the saw is in great shape, other than looking clean and sounding good! P.S. No sales tax in the great state of NH! ;-) Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
smokinjay said:

I hear you Jay - unfortunately, I'm not one for knowing if the saw is in great shape, other than looking clean and sounding good! P.S. No sales tax in the great state of NH! ;-) Cheers!

If that saw has only been use 2 times there will be no ???????????'s about it. Take a look and offer a little lower if its perfect!

smokinjay said:
NH_Wood said:
smokinjay said:

If that saw has only been use 2 times there will be no ???????????'s about it. Take a look and offer a little lower if its perfect!

No question????? What if it had seen a less than desirable fuel oil mix? One never knows when buying used!

Almost forgot... Do yourself a favor- buy a Husky!!! :lol: If you Stihl guys can do it so can I!! ;-P

KodiakII said:
smokinjay said:
NH_Wood said:
smokinjay said:

No question????? What if it had seen a less than desirable fuel oil mix? One never knows when buying used!

Almost forgot... Do yourself a favor- buy a Husky!!! :lol: If you Stihl guys can do it so can I!! ;-P

"Never heard me say that" and you sound like a hatter....Stright gased its not going to run. Pretty simple stuff.

smokinjay said:
KodiakII said:
smokinjay said:
NH_Wood said:
smokinjay said:

"Never heard me say that" and you sound like a hatter....Stright gased its not going to run. Pretty simple stuff.

Never said straight gassed did I.

KodiakII said:
smokinjay said:
KodiakII said:
smokinjay said:
NH_Wood said:
smokinjay" date="1330803066 said:

Never said straight gassed did I.

2 times running the saw if you cant tell dont buy. Again very simple stuff! And better yet dont run a darn saw either you might lose a part you may need later! (If you cant tell the difference)

smokinjay said:
NH_Wood said:
smokinjay said:

Yep!

It should appear to be in new or near new condition. If it is, offer $275 and go no higher than $290.

I recall after I cut the first cord of fir with my MS290 it still looked new after I blew it out and cleaned it all up. Paint was still on the edge of the bar and no gunk in the bar groove. The bar sprocket and chain sprocket showed no wear. No scratches or small dings. The area around the muffler was clean (no baked on sap), the area around the carb was clean, and the chain looked new.

DMZX said:
smokinjay said:
NH_Wood said:
smokinjay said:

Yep!

It should appear to be in new or near new condition. If it is, offer $275 and go no higher than $290.

I recall after I cut the first cord of fir with my MS290 it still looked new after I blew it out and cleaned it all up. Paint was still on the edge of the bar and no gunk in the bar groove. The bar sprocket and chain sprocket showed no wear. No scratches or small dings. The area around the muffler was clean (no baked on sap), the area around the carb was clean, and the chain looked new.

If only use 2 times once its heat up you should even still get burning paint smell from the muffler and or even the bar. Really this guy sounds like leigit to me and wants out of the firewood deal!

smokinjay said:
DMZX said:
smokinjay said:
NH_Wood said:
smokinjay said:

Yep!

If only use 2 times once its heat up you should even still get burning paint smell from the muffler and or even the bar. Really this guy sounds like leigit to me and wants out of the firewood deal!

Cool Jay - how much would you pay if you were me? Same as above? Cheers!

KodiakII said:
smokinjay said:
NH_Wood said:
smokinjay said:

I would run it first and offer 200.00 cash. Then settle some where in the middle if what he says. Bet it is too! You see this alot with 290 people buy them and have no business of running any saw. Bet he got hurt or a close call.

smokinjay said:
DMZX said:
smokinjay said:
NH_Wood said:
smokinjay said:

Yep!

I agree Jay. I think the OP could get a good deal on a saw that is just broke in.

KodiakII said:
smokinjay said:
NH_Wood said:
smokinjay said:

My Dad bought a new husky about a year ago - not impressed (not and XP). Seemed light and cheap feeling. Like my Dolmar a whole lot better. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.