Three dog night load.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
Thirteen splits in a BK Parlor,all red oak and locust no worries as it dips below zero tonight.
3dn.jpg

Thirteen splits in a BK Parlor,all red oak and locust no worries as it dips below zero tonight.View attachment 257075
You can pack that allot tighter lol. I actually find a load like that with a little extra air space puts out a bit more heat. Just not as long of a burn.

Reactions: mark cline
Nice !!

Planning out my overnight load as I type. Oak rounds 3-4" and 3 years seasoned are in the equation ;)

For us in the northeast one of the few cold nights this winter. load up those stoves.

Night before last had 8 deg. with 40 mph wind, loaded stove full and woke up to 64 deg. house with coals to light next load.
Sure makes burning wood enjoyable, wouldn't have it any other way.

Night before last had 8 deg. with 40 mph wind, loaded stove full and woke up to 64 deg. house with coals to light next load.
I want it way warmer than 64 when I wake up.

The temperature in the house peaks around 1:00am, it was 64 at 6:00 am.
I know I could heat better with a newer stove, but I like the Lopi. Have more wood in driving distance of the Gator than I will cut in my lifetime.

You, my friend, have air leaks ;)

Somebody would be mighty cranky if the house was 64 in the morning, and I wouldn't be happy about it either. ;lol

Reactions: weatherguy
64º for overnight sleeping is pretty nice if you have warm bedding. Start a fire while the coffee is brewing and it will be 68F in an hour, 70F in two.

-1f Real feel is -12f. Been cruising at 62 degrees in the house for the past few hours :(

Only brought in Cherry and Maple.

Unfortunately my only dog had to be put down last month...

Time to pack her full and head to bed.

Reactions: Chuck the Canuck

Unless you can't afford it let the furnace do some of the lifting until you can get the stove restarted. My wife would not be happy with a 64 degree house in the AM.

Hope this passes quickly. We're warming up here. I mowed the lawn today. It's the earliest I can recall doing this.

Why you little........Picture Homer Simpson. It was -3 here last night.

Well, sure...if your dogs are little. I have two, they're not little :)
Yikes, that's a monster! I guess you're plenty toasty when you curl up in one of his ears and pull it up around your neck. ;lol
64 isn't that bad...outside, with the sun beating down on ya. ==c
You, my friend, have air leaks ;)
Or his stove ate through the load in about three hours. _g
64º for overnight sleeping is pretty nice if you have warm bedding. Start a fire while the coffee is brewing and it will be 68F in an hour, 70F in two.
Until I tighten this place up more, I can't warm up the bedroom and main room if it's cold out. I have to have the door to the mudroom/bedroom open about 6" and keep most of the heat in the main room. Couple fleece blankets and a down comforter, and only my head has to endure the low 60s, the rest of me is about 97 degrees. ==c One dog likes to be out there with Mom, so she's got her own bed with a little fleece blanket. The other one is no dummy, he sleeps on the couch about 6' in front of the stove, getting roasted like a pig on a spit by the glowing combustor radiation coming through the glass.
:(

Last edited:
I let the furnace kick in to bring the house to 70 when my wife gets up at 5am, really doesnt take much oil to make her happy and comfortable.

My house doesn’t hold heat worth a damn. I’m dedicating this spring/summer to air sealing and insulating.

oh and encapsulating the crawl space.

Reactions: begreen
My brother built a house in the mountains of Tennessee, south west of Knoxville, he had his crawl space encapsulated and could not be happier with it. His hardwood floors are always warm.

Woke up to 11 degrees in southern ct. filled stove with medium to large splits of Norway maple at 10pm. At 7 am, my stovetop thermometer read a little under 300. New logs in lit right. I don’t miss years past with questionable wood. That’s about what my jotul insert, short of filling it with hickory.

Load the stove up last night at 8pm, mixed of BL and ash, temps got down to 5 deg f and 11 hrs later I reloaded the stove again, house went from 71 deg f at 9 pm to 67 at 7am, not bad, no zoned heat used lol, I might circulated the 3 zones today just to make sure the pipes don't freeze.
So far on the EC, winter has been a breeze, this is our worst "cold" snap of the season and its only for one night, we did have a bumpy start to winter with a colder then normal November and the beginning of December featured a damaging snow storm, but that's it, only burned 2 1/4 cords of wood so far and I'm thinking spring will be early, so maybe another 4 weeks of 24/7 burning then shoulder season burning afterwards.

Reactions: Ctwoodtick
Unless you can't afford it let the furnace do some of the lifting until you can get the stove restarted. My wife would not be happy with a 64 degree house in the AM.
Just have the pilot going in the furnace and the thermostat set at 55deg. Never run it unless we leave for longer than a day. Been doing it that way for 40 yrs.

Reactions: Touch0Gray
This is my life while we finish insulating and putting up interior cladding.

I'm so sorry to hear :( Dogs are such a wonderful part of life. I lost my greyhound & mastiff within 6 weeks of each other (my only dogs at that time), it was brutal. Both cancer. I searched around the rescue groups, and am glad I waited, cause when I saw this girl (white face, black body cane corso), I knew she was the right one for me. Then we adopted the Irish Wolfhound. When the time is right, I hope you open your home to another...life is just better with a dog in it :)

Attachments

• PicMonkey Image(8).jpg
    PicMonkey Image(8).jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 10296021_10152109938727685_7433289385787678861_o.jpg
    10296021_10152109938727685_7433289385787678861_o.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Love
Reactions: weatherguy and Dix
I'm so sorry to hear :( Dogs are such a wonderful part of life. I lost my greyhound & mastiff within 6 weeks of each other (my only dogs at that time), it was brutal. Both cancer. I searched around the rescue groups, and am glad I waited, cause when I saw this girl (white face, black body cane corso), I knew she was the right one for me. Then we adopted the Irish Wolfhound. When the time is right, I hope you open your home to another...life is just better with a dog in it :)

Thirteen splits in a BK Parlor,all red oak and locust no worries as it dips below zero tonight.
View attachment 257075
My two dog night .
dog2.jpgbb.jpeg