Through roof or Through the wall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Getting plans together to hook up the T5 Alderea in the living room of our 1 ½ story cape code.
It is a corner install. The house has a semi-finished attic only. Roof is 8/12 pitch. [edit: 10/12 pitch]

Basically I have 2 ways to run the Duratech class A.

1) I can go straight up from the stove through the attic (about 2 feet of attic space) and extend the Duratech up to proper height above rook ridge (about 12 more feet).

2) I can do a through the wall system. I would have to exit the house on the gable end and use the normal 90 elbow of stove pipe and then the class A tee, etc.

My concerns between the 2 setups are:

1) Ease of cleaning

2) Aesthetics

3) Safety

4) Efficiency

I suspect the straight up will draft better.

I am concerned a lot about cleaning. With the wall setup, the tee (being at head height outside) will make for easy access with no dirt inside. But I would still need to disconnect the inside DVL stove pipe each time to clean it.

With the roof setup, I am NOT sure how to even clean it.:confused: The rain cap’s height will be far too high to get a brush down the pipe. Is it common or even doable to remove a section of class A every time to clean? The lower section (at 5 foot) will have a roof support strap around it.

I don’t like the idea of cleaning from the bottom, up.:eek:

As far as aesthetics, I think the roof setup would look less “conspicuous”.
The chimney is on the highly visible, road side of the house.

Hope you guys have some ideas/suggestions/insight that I may not have thought of. Thanks.:)
What about all the extra heat that you'd get off the pipe inside if you went straight up? I'd LOVE that extra heat inside my house instead of outside heating the sky.

I've been cleaning my folks' chimney top down for about a decade. I did mine for the first time, bottom up, for the first time this year. Bottom up is the way to go, unless you love heights and life threatening situations. I'm not judging you if you do, it's just not my thing.

I did the same debate, with limited access to the attic I chose through the wall. Talked to one of the alleged "draft experts" at woodland direct. He was actually very sharp and helpful. So from the stove I go up 6 feet with single wall, 90 degrees then 18 inches to the wall thimble then a 3 foot tripple wall pipe to the T. I went 3 feet to get out beyond my eve and go through the porch roof instead of my actual house roof. I decided I did not want to penetrate my metal roof. Then I went up 9 feet to the cap. We just installed that last week after long time debating. Worked out great and the draft was awesome. We had no problem getting the fire started and a good draft going, and even with the stove fully throttled down the secondary burn was going well. The guy from woodland direct did a great job in giving me pointers and calculating my needs for my specific stove. And I can open the bottom of the T and clean it out easily enough from a step ladder. Everyone says going up is best, but going through the wall is just fine if you have enough pipe going up for your stove. Now just need to enclose the outside part to match the house and get my storm collar on.

Silver pipe is for the wood stove and some real heat, orange pipe is for the gas fire place for little bit of heat and ambiance.

17352196_10212237522914072_7671401449276029777_n.jpg