Ticket to BURN !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithO

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 8, 2007
Jackson, MI
Well, today, after several weeks of slow work I had the building inspector come around to look at the installation. He voted with his signiture on the permit and we lit her up 2 minues later... After a slow heat up, we let the system soak at about 900F stack temperature for a couple of hours (only required the air cracked open a wee bit) to cure the paint and had all doors and windows open to get rid of the fumes. This stove certainly has a lot more inertia than my previous Morso 7110, but it gives off an even heat and keeps the heat down on ajacent combustibles.

Here are a couple of pictures of the install.

Attachments

• PE T5 1.jpg
    PE T5 1.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 611
  • PE T5 2.jpg
    PE T5 2.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 682
Looks Great!!!!!!!!

Nice! Bet you're enjoying that tonight! :)

Is that thermostat on the rear wall reading 100*?

I think Keith's gonna be warm
I think it's today, yeah.
The room that was leaving him cold
Has gone away.
He's got a T-5 to burn
He's got a T-5 to burn
He's got a T-5 to burn
And wood heat to spare.

I hope you were just kidding with 2 hrs at 900 stack temps. And hopefully that is not from a surface thermometer. It could mean you were well over the rating of the pipe for continuous duty and likely overfiring the stove. 900 surface is like 1800 in the middle of the flue. (Or did you already double the surface thermo temps?)

BeGreen, the stack thermometer can be seen right there in the second of the 2 pics about 2 ft up the single wall stove pipe. It is a true "probe type", so really measuring the flue gas temp. Given the weight of the stove, I realized it would take some time to get the beast up to temperature. Even after 20 min, I could hold my hand continuously on the cast side panels, which I didn't expect. It seems most of the radiant heat comes off the front and top, and the sides act like convection heaters.

The stove looks awesome Keith. That's a great fire shot.

With a probe, I have never seen over about 600 on our stove. 900 is close to overfiring, especially continuous duty. But if I can see the tiny pointer on yours, it looks like the stove is running a much cooler flue now.

It is definitely a mostly convective stove. You can snuggle right up alongside it. My cats figured that out right away.

That big unidentified object in the top left of the firebox on the first pic is a piece of lump coal 8x8x4" thick and it took about 90 min to ignite, but it has now been steadily burning for hours. Judging by the heat output, either I have too much draft, or I need to do much smaller fires and let them go completely out until some "real" cold settles in. I wonder whether part of the difference between this stove and my Morso 7110 install is due to the current single wall stovepipe. I just appear to be putting a ton of heat into this space compared to the last system. Bring on that winter.....

Titan said:
Is that thermostat on the rear wall reading 100*?

It peaked out at 106 F, but considering the proximity, that may not be surprising. The plan is to move the thermostat to the opposite side of the wall (inside the stairwell). It is certainly uncomfortably hot in here (said with the kitchen sliding door and 2 windows wide open...) and I will have to keep that in mind and burn only small fires for the next month or so.

I hope you are able to distribute that heat throughout the house;you'll be laughin'.I'm no stranger to having windows open in the winter either;it's hard to just keep a small fire on!!Enjoy that new stove-she's a beaut.

Good lookin' stove!
Congrats.

BrotherBart said:
Has gone away.
He's got a T-5 to burn
He's got a T-5 to burn
He's got a T-5 to burn
And wood heat to spare.
Ahh, the BB I know and love!

brooktrout said:
BrotherBart said:
Has gone away.
He's got a T-5 to burn
He's got a T-5 to burn
He's got a T-5 to burn
And wood heat to spare.
Ahh, the BB I know and love!

Could you do "Last Stove in Clarksville", please? %-P Rick

fossil said:
Could you do "Last Stove in Clarksville", please? %-P Rick

Hum a few bars of it and I will give it a try.

First time I go to reply to a post after the mod thing and I screwed up fossils post. I will probably get fired.

BB

Now that was a flashback!

Well, BG, you totally hosed up our posts...but I figgered it out in spite of your best effort. BB, I'm sure you'll do your duty with honor as you always have. Rick

fossil said:
Well, BG, you totally hosed up our posts...but I figgered it out in spite of your best effort. BB, I'm sure you'll do your duty with honor as you always have. Rick

He didn't hose it up. I did. They stick a whole bunch of new buttons on this thing when they make the change.

Whoops! Sorry bout that Cap'n.

Oh, it was you. Why do I get the feeling I'm talking to myself here? :lol: Rick

I still want to hear "I got the Last Stove in Clarksville". I'll work on it. You work on your buttons. Rick

fossil said:
I still want to hear "I got the Last Stove in Clarksville". I'll work on it. You work on your buttons. Rick

Can you believe that the government once actually let me work on helicopters? That people actually flew in. :ahhh:

Edit: To stay on topic. They burned stuff too. Just like that good looking new stove of Keith's.

BrotherBart said:
Can you believe that the government once actually let me work on helicopters? That people actually flew in. :ahhh:

Edit: To stay on topic. They burned stuff too. Just like that good looking new stove of Keith's.

They didn't just let you...they paid you to do it. Just like they paid me to do things I don't even want to think about.

But, yes...sorry, Keith for the diversion. The stove installation is splendid, and I appreciate you sharing your thoroughly justified pride of accomplishment with us here. Learn the stove, watch the temps. You're a very bright guy, you'll have it down in no time, I'm sure. Congratulations on getting a very nicely done installation up and burning! Rick

FYI - I wear my ballet shoes when tiptoeing through these threads.No mods done unless there's some fairly egregious problem.

BeGreen said:
FYI - I wear my ballet shoes when tiptoeing through these threads.No mods done unless there's some fairly egregious problem.

I know that, and sincerely appreciate and respect it, and thoroughly enjoy the way you go about your participation/duties here. I jumped to a premature conclusion, thinking I understood what had happened there...now I think it's all pretty much explained.

And I still think Keith's got a great looking setup there! Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.