Timberline Sharpener

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have looked at and read about the Timberline sharpener for years, but never could lay down the money (I have been accused of throwing nickels around like they are manhole covers). I finally bought one, but it was a two step process.

First, I told my gadget-obsessed brother in law about Timberline. After he bought one, I tried his and was very impressed. So there was nothing to do but buy my own.

I am very pleased. The chain seems to hold its edge well, it is probably a bit faster than hand filing, and my perception is that less metal is removed each time. I can usually hand file a chain only about six times before I have to take it to the saw shop. I've been hand filing for about 35 years, but I think I actually have had 35 different one year experiences; I've never really gotten any better.

I've looked at them, but never used one and the Timberline isn't that much more. I'm just super careful with the Dremel on the little chains and use the one with the angle guide built into the end.

Reactions: SidecarFlip
I've looked at them, but never used one and the Timberline isn't that much more. I'm just super careful with the Dremel on the little chains and use the one with the angle guide built into the end.

The Timberline is good in the field. I used to have an older design that is no longer made and the handle wore out so I got one. I use a Dremel sharpener too with the angle guide in the shop or hand file using the Stihl file guide which is a pretty neat tool to have. Stump vise is mandatory in the field to secure the guide bar.

I don't cut a lot of wood 'cause I don't use it to heat with but we have a lot of trees and storm damage is always an on going thing here. I roast everything in a bonfire about 2 times a year.