TIMBERLINE WOOD INSERT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can any one tell me if they know where I can find a used blower for an old (20-30 years) Timberline wood burning insert? We haven't had the insert installed yet - but the technician that came out to inspect our flue said they don't make blowers for this unit anymore. Are there any generic blowers that we could also possibly use?

If I can't find a blower doe's anyone think one is necessary for this unit to heat a room approximately 600 sq ft.

We have never had any type of wood burning device before and just don't know how much heat this unit will put off.

Thanks

I will go easy on you only because you posted one time,send that stove to the scrap yard.
wecome to the site. :lol:

Welcome--and the scrap yard it is. :eek:hh:

Those are the kind of responses that turn people off to this site. Wieland, we're not all like that. And welcome to this usually welcoming site. I can still get parts for my 1979 Buck, so don't lose faith.

If you can't find the exact one from the manufcturer, you can prolly retro fit another universal model.
Welcome aboard.

Dayton makes alot of blowers for wood boilers and wood stoves. You can check them out on the web or look up Grainger on the web they supply alot of different things that may work.

With most of the old blowers you are just as well off to take it to a local small electrics repair shop. They can usually fix it a lot easier and cheaper than chasing down a replacement. Especially for something like the old Timberlines.

The major question isn't the blower. It is how are you going to vent that insert? Hopefully with a full length chimney liner and not just by shoving it into the fireplace.

I could not find a blower motor for my gf s regency insert . dealer said wow thats old never seen one
Googled electric blower wood insert got some company in kalimazoo Mich . dont have the name as I not there anylonger
the site had pics I just matched . it was the same one . You can find one , Maybe you like your stove and want the blower to run .
I m new first year epa stove in my new 1955 home .

If you have the original blower, often all that needs replacement is the motor or wiring, or a switch. If you don't have the original blower, then as suggested, a universal or a similiar model could probably matched up.

As far as the first couple of posts, I believe it was a way to suggest that the old insert that you have is a rather inefficient, not so clean burning (smoke dragon is what it is called here), and hopefully not a past it's usefull life wood burning insert.

Hopefully the unit was checked for integrity and safety. And hopefully it will be installed in a safe and up to code manner (as up to code as possible because of it's age it probably won't be up to code). This is not something you can't be to sure of. Your home and family are at risk. Please do your homework here and make sure it can be installed safely. It will still consume lots of wood and put out lots of smoke (which can be controlled somewhat by burning properly).

You would be better off with an entry level stove of the modern type. More heat, less wood consumed, safer and more reliable, less smoke, and a heck of allot more efficient. Price would not be too far off from what you would have to put into that old insert to make it safe and working properly. KD

Sorry on that first post but i had a timberline back in the early 80's and
was up on the roof every 3 week's cleaning the stack out.Don't miss that
stove at all.

budman said:
stove at all.

We had a Timberline back in the 70's and never needed to clean out the chimney. Checked it yearly. We ran it good and hot with good wood.

Of course I'm amazed at how clean the new PE Summit runs (we've just had two break-in fires so far.)

Ken

Ken45 said:
budman said:
stove at all.

We had a Timberline back in the 70's and never needed to clean out the chimney. Checked it yearly. We ran it good and hot with good wood.

Of course I'm amazed at how clean the new PE Summit runs (we've just had two break-in fires so far.)

Ken
And a lot of wood at that,as soon as you slow the air down for a longer burn thats
when the crud would start to build up.

Wieland1234 said:
Can any one tell me if they know where I can find a used blower for an old (20-30 years) Timberline wood burning insert? We haven't had the insert installed yet - but the technician that came out to inspect our flue said they don't make blowers for this unit anymore. Are there any generic blowers that we could also possibly use?

If I can't find a blower doe's anyone think one is necessary for this unit to heat a room approximately 600 sq ft.

We have never had any type of wood burning device before and just don't know how much heat this unit will put off.

Thanks

The in-laws are using Timberline inserts to supplement their furnace in the winter (primary burn in the basement and a second upstairs just in case the power goes out) with no issues of excessive creosote. Personally, I am looking for one locally for my fireplace. Just be sure to burn small hot fires and not pack the stove full and choke it down to a smolder. As long as your wood is properly seasoned and you are mindful of your burning habits, the Timberline stoves work well. They're just not as efficient as a modern design stove.

We made a new blower for my Fisher when I got it using electric fans from a local hardware store and some sheet metal. The design is a simple box with a decorative screen front, angled interior to mount fans (since the diameter was larger than the box size) and open discharge in the back. All told, I have less than $40 in my blower and it fits perfectly to the opening rather than trying to make some aftermarket fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.