Timberline Wood Stove Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rmn1993

Oct 11, 2021
New Hampshire
Hello!

I'm from New Hampshire and moved into my house last year. In our barn was a Timberline two door wood stove. I am not sure yet which particular model it is.

I am working on moving it from the barn, into our living room, and installing a Class A vent through my roof to accommodate. I have plenty of clearance even without heat shielding the drywall.

I have read these stoves are wood hogs, but there are some simple upgrades that can be done to significantly increase the efficiency, to nearly that of an EPA rated stove. I read that a user on this forum had the plans, and was willing to share, but it appears they haven't logged in here since 2016. Does anybody have these plans? I am good with a welder so I have confidence that I can do it.

Another thing is that I need to replace the fire brick. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but I noticed that there is metal retaining pieces to hold the brick in, and it appears that it has been warped and either rusted off or over fired and just simply disintegrated (The stove itself has no rust on it except surface rust that I will clean and paint). Has anybody heard of this?

Thanks for any replies!

Last edited:
Hello!

I'm from New Hampshire and moved into my house last year. In our barn was a Timberline two door wood stove. I am not sure yet which particular model it is.

I am working on moving it from the barn, into our living room, and installing a Class A vent through my roof to accommodate. I have plenty of clearance even without heat shielding the drywall.

I have read these stoves are wood hogs, but there are some simple upgrades that can be done to significantly increase the efficiency, to nearly that of an EPA rated stove. I read that a user on this forum had the plans, and was willing to share, but it appears they haven't logged in here since 2016. Does anybody have these plans? I am good with a welder so I have confidence that I can do it.

Another thing is that I need to replace the fire brick. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but I noticed that there is metal retaining pieces to hold the brick in, and it appears that it has been warped and either rusted off or over fired and just simply disintegrated (The stove itself has no rust on it except surface rust that I will clean and paint). Has anybody heard of this?

Thanks for any replies!
How much clearance is plenty? Most of these stoves need 36"

And no there are absolutely no simple upgrades that will get you anywhere near the efficiency of an EPA compliant stove. The closest you will get is by designing and fabricating a secondary air tube system with insulated baffle. And even with that unless you really know what you are doing you won't get close

How much clearance is plenty? Most of these stoves need 36"

And no there are absolutely no simple upgrades that will get you anywhere near the efficiency of an EPA compliant stove. The closest you will get is by designing and fabricating a secondary air tube system with insulated baffle. And even with that unless you really know what you are doing you won't get close
If I had no heat shielding, I could do 36" no problem. It would look silly but it would work. I plan on doing heat shielding in accordance with the NFPA code (which I believe reduces my clearance down to 18", gotta double check before install)

Thanks for letting me know. I figure I will use this stove anyway since it's what I have, then upgrade when I can.

If I had no heat shielding, I could do 36" no problem. It would look silly but it would work. I plan on doing heat shielding in accordance with the NFPA code (which I believe reduces my clearance down to 18", gotta double check before install)

Thanks for letting me know. I figure I will use this stove anyway since it's what I have, then upgrade when I can.
It's 12" with proper shielding.

Were you able to upgrade the old Timberline? I have a big old two door in my basement that got retired when I installed a new hybrid hearthstone insert upstairs. The big beast has a lot of sentimental value so I was thinking of making it a project like you and eventually putting it in a barn/workshop. There's a youtube video of a guy adding a very functional secondary burn setup on a Fisher I think.