Time needed to season red oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jotul8e2

Minister of Fire
Feb 2, 2008
Ozarks
My property is largely a mix of various kinds of white oak, red oak, and hickory. Is it just me, or does red oak take longer to season than white oak or hickory? Rather a lot longer? Maybe a year longer?

Based on past experience, hickory I am cutting now may be ready for use late next fall, and will be plenty dry by winter. White oak, possibly by this time next year - although a second year is definitely better. But my red oak seems to take at least two years from the time it is split(!) to become at all burnable.

But maybe I am just imagining this. I probably need a moisture tester.

Mark

I have lots of Red Oak and I agree that it certainly takes several years to season. I usually cut the Hickory at the same time so I season them together. I don't have any experience with white oak though. What's your opinion on Maple? I just scored a bunch yesterday (I don't know what kind) and my last batch seasoned two years and it seems really dry. Any thoughts on that?
R

CTburns said:
I don't have any experience with white oak though. What's your opinion on Maple? I just scored a bunch yesterday (I don't know what kind) and my last batch seasoned two years and it seems really dry. Any thoughts on that?
R

I have some maple cut last April and split in May and it is still at 30%. A little more shade on my stacks than would be ideal but i would definitely say more than a year.

Everything I have read here and on other wood burning sites states 2 years for red oak to season. You can add your experience to the list now too.

I don't have any personal experience harvesting it because it doesn't grow out here. I bought a cord 2 years ago and it was double the expense as local hardwoods so I don't think I'll do it again, especially since we have had such warm winters for the past 2 years. Seems like a waste to use it when it isn't below 30*.

wendell said:
CTburns said:
I don't have any experience with white oak though. What's your opinion on Maple? I just scored a bunch yesterday (I don't know what kind) and my last batch seasoned two years and it seems really dry. Any thoughts on that?
R

I have some maple cut last April and split in May and it is still at 30%. A little more shade on my stacks than would be ideal but i would definitely say more than a year.

Thanks,
I was thinking that next year wood be too soon.
R

If it is split and stacked in a single row in full sun it will be ready next year. If you stack it several rows back to back, or it is not in the sun it will take longer.

White oak has occluded pores (supposedly great for making waterproof barrels) so theoretically that might allow for slower seasoning.
I find both to be about the same so I stack them together.

One year might be "good enough", but longeris usually better.

fyrwoodguy, it is still better to leave that stack uncovered during the summer months. This will allow for better evaporation of the moisture. We never worry about rainwater. The wood will not soak it up unless it rains every day for a week or two. Wood is not a sponge unless it is punky. The moisture from the rain will dry extremely fast; within hours if you have a breeze.

I bought a cord of oak/maple/beech two weeks ago. It was cut and split 2 years ago. 6" or more was split. The stuff is still pretty damp if the splits aren't small enough. He stores the stacks in a 45' deep roofed, open sided shed in the woods. I would estimate that stored in this fashion it would really need another 2 years seasoning. The 6" rounds are at average 35%, the bigger splits at about 30%.

FWIW: For years the red and white oak bought in log length green in late winter in the 90's, and now harvested here in Maine in winter is ready for the stoves by the following heating season. The bought logs were bucked up into stove length before spring. The felled trees are now bucked into stove length and stacked for later splitting and stacking over the summer into early fall.
There has never been a problem with "wet" or sizzling splits in the 8 years harvesting here ( sorry, no Moisture Meter ) : Red Oak ( not more than a cord+/year), Red Maple, Paper Birch, Green Ash as the mix of 5-7+ cords each year. This has been an unusually long cold season so far; on our 4th cord.
The green bucks/butts are stacked in semi-shade out in the open. Some locals believe that the rain helps to "push out" the sap in wet/dry cycles over spring and summer. Seems to work. Not much time to bother waiting an extra year for that little bit of oak seasoning.
"Mileage may differ" Monty Python

Status
Not open for further replies.