Timed pilot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

blaine.k

Dec 17, 2022
Canada
I have a Jotul GF500DVMV
This stove has a timed pilot which the retailer did not know about when he sold me the stove. I use wood heat and when i am away i use electric baseboard set at about 55 deg f. Our power here is not real reliable but cheaper than propane. I installed this stove in case i lose power which as i said has happened occasionally and for a few days at a time. So this propane stove with the timed pilot is rather useless. If i had known this i would have purchased a electronic ignition powered by D cell battery which was the best option if the retailer knew what they were selling.
Can i replace the timed pilot with a regular pilot?
Thanks for any info that may help me out. I spent almost 5000.00 for the stove and vent so lets get rid of the timed pilot.

I had never heard of a "Timed Pilot". I looked through the Install manual and did not see any explanation other than "If there is no call for heat in 7 days, the pilot will shut off" The pilot and valve parts all look like standard SIT Nova parts. It would seem to me that there would be some external wiring that could be bypassed?

Attachments

• 139965-D GF500 DV MV Manual_ English_Canada.pdf
    7.9 MB · Views: 109
I have the same manual which came with the stove. I had a brain wave and searched smart phone thermostats for gas stoves and amazon has one that may fix my problem cheap. I found this quick but will do more searching to find a higher rated item. I can program it to fire every 6 days or put a reminder in my phone when we are away to fire it before it goes out. I will set up a low cost indoor security camera to witness the flame in the stove. This would fix my problem uneducated sales people caused.

Reactions: Lennox65
I have a Jotul GF500DVMV
This stove has a timed pilot which the retailer did not know about when he sold me the stove. I use wood heat and when i am away i use electric baseboard set at about 55 deg f. Our power here is not real reliable but cheaper than propane. I installed this stove in case i lose power which as i said has happened occasionally and for a few days at a time. So this propane stove with the timed pilot is rather useless. If i had known this i would have purchased a electronic ignition powered by D cell battery which was the best option if the retailer knew what they were selling.
Can i replace the timed pilot with a regular pilot?
Thanks for any info that may help me out. I spent almost 5000.00 for the stove and vent so lets get rid of the timed pilot.
I would install another gas valve, that does not have the timer on it.

I was hoping to find a cheaper fix. In canada it is law that the pilots are timed to turn off in 7 days. I was hoping a gas valve person might have a way to jumper out the timer function. I do not know anything about gas valves so I am sort of lost with how this timer works.

Likely the cheapest solution would be a 5-1-1 programmable millivolt thermostat set to turn the burner on once a week for a few minutes.

So if you don't use it for 7 days it shuts off and then what, you have to relight it manually? That's beyond useless. Here we are not even allowed to light our pilots by hand anymore

Likely the cheapest solution would be a 5-1-1 programmable millivolt thermostat set to turn the burner on once a week for a few minutes.
Hi ManitobaSky
I'm your neighbor to the east, our closest town is Flin Flon.
Yes I agree I have found a couple options on Amazon that should fix my issue.
Are you someone that sells this sort of item. Would rather buy local than amazon.

Hi ManitobaSky
I'm your neighbor to the east, our closest town is Flin Flon.
Yes I agree I have found a couple options on Amazon that should fix my issue.
Are you someone that sells this sort of item. Would rather buy local than amazon.
Your my neighbor to the north, I’m just on the MB/SK boarder just off the TCH1! Sorry not a seller, just a farmer. Homehardware will ship online orders now, Your nearest store would be Snow Lake?

Last edited: