Timing is everything...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lml999

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2013
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Just took a photo of a near empty bin in my recently built wood shed...

empty woodshed.jpg

Uh oh...

Then I see this post on FB Marketplace.... dropoff would be fine, please. :)

IMG_ADCBED8E7818-1.jpeg

I would take them up on their offer immediately!

Deliver for a fee.
🤔
I wonder what it will be.
200 dollars shipping and handling. :)

Deliver for a fee.
🤔
I wonder what it will be.
200 dollars shipping and handling. :)
Says $50 in the add. I would love a tree company near me post free wood. I just don't have the room for a grapple load. I could make room but my wife would lose it.

Says $50 in the add. I would love a tree company near me post free wood. I just don't have the room for a grapple load. I could make room but my wife would lose it.
Yea I had a couple of cords delivered and it leaves a mess that clean up in the yard. Imagine having logs to cut them split.

Yea I had a couple of cords delivered and it leaves a mess that clean up in the yard. Imagine having logs to cut them split.
;? It's firewood, dude. If a little bit of wood processing mess is a problem, you're in the wrong forum! ;lol

You don't hear many complaining about windy days on sailing forums, or afraid of heights on skydiving forums.

Out on the cape my guess is if they were not giving it away they would be paying to dispose of it. Plus odds are there is a lot of urban wood loaded with metal mixed in. Plus if they have several drop off points spread around it reduces driving. Still a great deal for a wood burner but factor in keeping a few spare chains around and spending a bit more time salvaging them from hitting metal on occasion. Also, another good reason to wear eye safety gear including eye protection.

Reactions: Ashful
man, i'd be there in a Massachusetts minute...

very nice!

;? It's firewood, dude. If a little bit of wood processing mess is a problem, you're in the wrong forum! ;lol

You don't hear many complaining about windy days on sailing forums, or afraid of heights on skydiving forums.
yea, it's a bit annoying to cleanup well enough. Especially late fall, I cant just let it settle between the grass and mulch what sits higher with the mower. IM definitely not one of those people that likes to chop and stack firewood. Heck Im looking for a service to keep a face cord on my back porch stacked. They have dog poop pickup services, why not firewood stacking.

• Haha
yea, it's a bit annoying to cleanup well enough. Especially late fall, I cant just let it settle between the grass and mulch what sits higher with the mower. IM definitely not one of those people that likes to chop and stack firewood. Heck Im looking for a service to keep a face cord on my back porch stacked. They have dog poop pickup services, why not firewood stacking.
Back when I sold wood some of my best customer's were like that they had a rack on a porch, deck or under the deck and they wanted it to have wood in it and didn't care what the cost was . I had a route set up for those folks. It was a nice paying gig.

Heating with wood is not for everyone.

My friend's uncles were retired and had the time. There was a well off couple who owned the only camp on a small pond in Southern Maine who only visited it a couple of times a year. The uncle's got paid to keep an eye on the place and do renovations after the couple visited and decided they wanted improvements. They also were paid to stock a covered wood pile for the fireplace outdoors and indoors and stock another pile of smaller stuff for the wood cook stove. It had to be bark free, uniform splits, bone dry and even length. This was 25 years ago and they did over 300K in renovations to the camp over the years plus got a check every month of the year to keep an eye on place which meant snowshoeing into the place in the winter about a half mile. At least half the renovations got taken out a few years after going in as the couple had decided they wanted to do more work. Their biggest challenge was keeping the mice out. They ran a big trap line and mouseamatic bucket traps with antifreeze year round and did a thorough inspection and clean out a day prior to the couple's arrival.

Man... where were you when I was 14, and looking to make a few extra bucks? I had to wait for it to snow, to get anything out of my neighbors!

If you've got a kid age 12-16 in the neighborhood, you might become fast friends, over this firewood stacking idea.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Cutting, splitting stacking and staring at firewood is a physical link we share with our ancestors. It's like being in the mountains or eating the heart of a deer; It hits a visceral spot deep within man to engage himself in these simple tasks and makes for excellent mental health and an immense sense of satisfaction.

Out on the cape my guess is if they were not giving it away they would be paying to dispose of it. Plus odds are there is a lot of urban wood loaded with metal mixed in. Plus if they have several drop off points spread around it reduces driving. Still a great deal for a wood burner but factor in keeping a few spare chains around and spending a bit more time salvaging them from hitting metal on occasion. Also, another good reason to wear eye safety gear including eye protection.
I'm going to have to take a look at what he's offering. Much of the native hardwood here is pretty knarly due to the sandy soil, I guess. I've gotten a few deliveries of decent wood from off cape but it typically comes with a lot of bark and dirt. I got much better firewood (even, straight, clean) when I was in metrowest Boston.

Thanks for the tip/reminder on spare chains and safety. Always a good idea!

I got much better firewood (even, straight, clean) when I was in metrowest Boston.
Can confirm, the firewood around here is plentiful and good quality. Oak, maple, ash, cherry, hickory, birch and pine everywhere. I get most of my stuff from local tree guys.

The soil and conditions on the Cape is the issue as you said. Its sandy, shallow, and very windy. The trees tend to be stunted and gnarly compared to around here. Its very noticeable on the golf courses and even just driving down on the highway. Still seems like a good deal though I'd definitely try it! If nothing else to try and forge a relationship with the local tree guys. Every load may not be perfect but the price is right and it's convenient.

As a follow up, the log load didn't happen. I *did* find another local supplier offering clean green hardwood (mostly oak) for $200/cord delivered. So...I bought six cords. Now my wood shed is full. :)

Most people on the cape are selling full cords for at least twice that. Some even claim that it's seasoned, and most use front end loaders to load their trucks or trailers...which leads to a lot of dirt in the mix. This guy loads by hand.

He has been in the business for a while and is easy to work with . The wood is great and the price is more than reasonable. I'll continue buying from him as I need...

As a follow up, the log load didn't happen. I *did* find another local supplier offering clean green hardwood (mostly oak) for $200/cord delivered. So...I bought six cords. Now my wood shed is full. :)

Most people on the cape are selling full cords for at least twice that. Some even claim that it's seasoned, and most use front end loaders to load their trucks or trailers...which leads to a lot of dirt in the mix. This guy loads by hand.

He has been in the business for a while and is easy to work with . The wood is great and the price is more than reasonable. I'll continue buying from him as I need...

You are set for the winter of 24-25! What do you plan on burning this winter?

Reactions: lml999
You are set for the winter of 24-25! What do you plan on burning this winter?
I have a cord of seasoned wood already stacked, and am trying to force seasoning of the rest with a solar kiln. My shed has a clear roof and I've tarped the sides...but so far I'm not seeing higher temperatures either in the airspace or in the stack itself. I don't think I have enough direct sunlight (the shed is partially shaded.) We'll lsee what happens later in the summer...or I might just move a cord or two into the open with a dedicated kiln...