TIS Uni wood boilers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I finally talked to someone who owns a Uni 35. He's on his second season with it. He really likes it and says it seems very efficient. He said he would buy another.

However, when asked if it smokes any he replied that it definitely does produce visible smoke while burning. He claimed that he's only burning dry wood. The woodstove in his house does not smoke. He says he has brown icicles on his roof!
The heat exchanger does soot up but he only brushes it every couple weeks.
Currently he's only got 50 gallons of storage in addition to 1200 sqft of radiant concrete. With a super tight ICF construction, his lack of storage would definitely make for extra idling/smoking. It is probably always modulated to 50%. Oh, and he has it set at 70° C. Isn't that around 150 F?
There is some smoke spillage while reloading, but not excessive.

Construction is sturdy. He said he can put his hand against the side of it while it is running, so good insulation.

Everything he said about it could have been said of any indoor boiler except for the smoking part. I'm guessing most Uni's would not smoke that much, but if this one does......

I'm pretty much convinced that what I really want is an Attack lambda 35.