TIS Uni wood boilers

oscar1111

Mar 18, 2019
USA
Do you have any pictures of the combustion chamber(s)? Trying to determine if these are downdraft gasifiers or a more conventional boiler design.
No they are not gasifiers. Air is blown in from the back and flue gases go up and out the flu. They are very simple.

Karl_northwind

Minister of Fire
Feb 13, 2012
Central Wi.
Y'know what's pretty wild? they have a map on their website that shows a bunch of installs. down to name, phone number and address and boiler model. I wonder if their customers know that their info is there? I'm not sure I'd want a record of some non-listed boiler that I had installed at my place......

Case1030

Dec 12, 2017
Manitoba
Y'know what's pretty wild? they have a map on their website that shows a bunch of installs. down to name, phone number and address and boiler model. I wonder if their customers know that their info is there? I'm not sure I'd want a record of some non-listed boiler that I had installed at my place......
When I talked to MBtek on the phone they claim the customers voluntary submitted their information to help other clients... not sure if many of them would answer never tried.

Case1030

Dec 12, 2017
Manitoba
Not many reviews was looking into them few months ago.

oscar1111

Mar 18, 2019
USA
As a customer, I can attest, they don't ask first. They put it up there immediately after I placed my order (would be months before I received the product) and then when I mentioned I was getting calls they told me they would be happy to remove it.

oscar1111

Mar 18, 2019
USA
A year later and pretty happy with my UNI 35 boiler. MBtek has been a headache, for sure, but I don't find them to unscrupulous . I think it's a combination of being an overwhelmed startup company to a French Canadian/American culture adjustment that can infuriate one.
But good price for getting a wood fired boiler up and running with thermal storage etc. I would kill to have a true gasifier side by side to mine to see how much better they actually are from a practical point of view. I don't doubt they are more efficient, but curious from a big picture point of view if they're worth it.

Patti

Mar 4, 2013
Hey Oscar1111! I was the one who posted the original inquiry about the TIS boilers because I was interested in learning more about them. I actually contacted a few of the customers and got replies. Two customers in particular were incredibly helpful and we communicated all of last winter.
I kept going back & forth about whether to spend the outrageous amount for a high-end gasifiers...but I just can’t justify that kind of money when I still have to cut, split, stack, and stoke wood- even if it is less than other boilers! So, I’m almost ready to take the plunge...just deciding on the size now...it will be either a UNI55, 75 or 95. Going to call MBTEK today...been avoiding that because I’ve heard crappy stuff about the customer service ( but yet they have 100% star rating on eBay from thousands of customers...which isn’t easy to do!!)
I DON’T have patience for poor customer service. (Think I’ll tell the owner that right off the bat so they know I won’t tolerate any BS!).
I have a few questions I’m hoping you can help with. What exactly is involved with cleaning and how often did you do?
Do you have any water storage?
What is your heating system- forced air through an air handler? Infloor hydronic? Rads? Do you heat your domestic hot water with it too? Any problems with its opeartion (any breakdowns?) A big issue for me is smoke - both inside and outside. How did you find it? Looking forward to your feedback! Thanks! Patti