To insulate or not to insulate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
As a follow up to this situation, I called the insulation manufacturer Selkirk about the safety of using the insulation and she assured me they did extensive testing of it before they had to meet the UL requirements. Even tested it up to 2100 degrees, so I feel good about installing it.

I ended up sending the stove installation documentation to the wood stove inspector, the guy that does not want the insulation installed. The inspector recently had ankle surgery, and said he can inspect it from the pictures and documentation I send to him, without needing to see it in person. After not hearing anything from him for 5 days I decided to give him a call, he immediately jumped my tail end about "pestering" him. He went on a sarcastic rant about my documentation being so good he should send me out to document his installs. I was shell shocked, after a few minutes of this and trying to be civil, I asked how long it would take, he said it may take a month now and hung up on me. I was stunned, I didn't see that coming, maybe it was because I went against him and installed the insulation. I waited a couple more days, then decided to send him a certified letter telling him to get lost.

I had a different guy out the next day, he did a thorough inspection, even did a colonoscopy of my stove pipe, ran a camera up the pipe to inspect and video the connections all the way up to the rain cap. I had my approval that night, he put it on a web site with links I sent to my insurance agent.

Thank you to everyone that chimed in.

Last edited:
I installed it in mine. Somewhere it said it adds an additional layer of protection as well as minimizes heat loss and condensation. If you dont put it in you probably wont notice any difference either way. Show the inspector the directions and if he still balks then just make him happy and move on with life. Good luck.

Reactions: MoDoug