To my suprise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

USMC80

Minister of Fire
Mar 27, 2013
New Jersey
loaded with 4 splits of sassafras this morning at 0600. Came home from work at 1630 to this. Fan was still running house at 72 degrees and plenty of coals. Temp reading was just over 200f on insert. can't wait for the winter to actually load this thing up

IMAG0040_zpsc8f713b4.jpg

Looks like you are doing fine! The test comes in January.

Ya. Should be OK. Majority of my oak won't be ready until next winter though

That's pretty respectable and in a non-cat stove no less! I think this should be ... to surprise and delight!

Sassafras? Wow. I would think of that as a very soft wood. :confused:

Love the smell of fresh Sassafras!!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Yes, sassafras is a softer wood and you certainly are right about the sweet smell of the sassy. We too love it.

Loaded 4 good size unsplit branches of oak at 0830 yesterday, came back at 1830 and hampton was still cranking out heat. Opened the air to about half and burnt another two hours! Finally reloaded at 13 hours with fan still running and putting out heat. Mind you it wasn't that cold of a day but stove wasn't even near packed. Living room, guest room and bathroom at 74 degrees. Back bedroom at 69 degrees. First pic is when I came home after 10 hours second pic is the reload at 13 hours. I did use some kindling underneath but think the small splits would have taken off without it. Can't wait for the cold to test this thing out

IMAG0069_zpsa0697f57.jpg

IMAG0070_zpsa43251cd.jpg

I have the little brother HI200 being installed Saturday. I'm hoping against hope my little insert acts like my little dog (who thinks she's a Great Dane). I'll apply all the tips I pick up here and be happy to get 6-7 hours out of it. Your post gives me reason for optimism.

Hey USMC what is your air setting at to get a burn like that? Did you insulate your insert?

been running air fully closed and getting great secondaries. Just sealed at top and roxul stuffed in damper area, no block off plate. Might do a block off plate for next year just for the heck of it. Interior chimney

Status
Not open for further replies.