Today is the day!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pr0vidence

Nov 11, 2007
south central CT
After almost one full year of reading, researching, questioning, preparing, our Avalon Rainier will be installed today. I have about 3 cords of well seasoned wood stacked up outside, the nights are starting to get nippy here in CT, I am feeling good. I am actually excited about this season, instead of dreading having to pay for oil. Thanks go to all the experts on this board who take the time to assure us newbies that this is a viable means of heating our home, and, with a little care, we won't burn our down to to smoldering rubble. It will be hard for me to overcome being taught since I was a child to never, ever, under any circumstances, leave a fire burning unattended, and do just that, light a fire in my home, and leave as it burns. I feel more comfortable with that thought than I thought I would at this point, given the investment we are making, I kind of have to be.

Anyway, thanks again everyone. Pictures, before and after, to follow.

-pr0v

Best of luck today. That's a solid heater that should keep you warm for many years.

Don't foget the pic's :coolsmirk:

.......or perhaps today is NOT the day. The installers never showed up! It's about 7:45 right now, I can't imagine they would still show up and do an install now.....

More news as it develops. This is going to knock their rating down a peg.

Just as I wouldn't buy a horse at midnight, I wouldn't sign off on a woodstove installation at midnight. They sure did owe you at least a phone call, though, it would seem. Rick

If they did not call, I would think about cancelling until I had a talk with them..............with the economy like it is, I think dealers should at least call when they are too busy to come.

Congrads on the stove............please don't forget the smoke/fire and co2 alarms to make sure you have a safe season.

I hate to sound negative, but I've been reading these forums for a while and I have noticed for some reason that some stove installations that start out negative, tend to stay negative throughout the entire installation.

Robbie

Alright.....TODAY is the day.

Long story, but it turned out to be a communication conflict with the scheduling. No big deal, just a minor inconvenience. So the stove got installed today (9/24) it's in place and looks great. At work now, but will post before and after pictures later.

now I have to stare at it for a week until the inspector comes :( One little teensy fire won't hurt, right?

Well, how do the installers check their non leakage, etc? ;-)

Seriously, if they told you to wait until after inspection, I really wait. Who's doing the inspecting?

Yea, finally! Congratulations. If possible, don't make final payment until it passes inspection. Ask the town inspector if ok to burn while waiting.

too late, bought and paid for... I'll call the inspector tomorrow. He is scheduled to come out Oct 2 for the inspection. that's too long to wait! I got fire fever.

Inspector said he's mostly just concerned with the clearances, which we went over and above when extending the hearth, so I'm not worried.

Anything you board experts feel I should check to verify their work? Pretty simple install, open fireplace and masonry chimney.

After inspection get those first burns in before it gets too cold. Open windows, doors, etc...you know the deal. Good choice on the Rainer, you will be happy. It burns real hot and clean with good wood. Ohhhh the secondary burns are pretty sweet too. I almost bought it but I really wanted the extra room for bigger splits so I snagged the Olympic in April on a killer price (before the price explosion...). However the Rainer would have been all the "power" I needed

Yep, get some sweet pics up and congrats again :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.