Todays Craigslist laugh

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

trueg50

Dec 19, 2014
VT
Proof satan posts to craigslist, or this guy is getting kick back from a surgeon specializing in back/hernia repairs. 4-6ft logs, 5-12 inches in diameter and NO chainsawing on site?!

1598799347808.png

Poplar is light, he said maybe two people, what's the issue.
"No further chainsawing on site"

That is probably why this ad has been on craigslist for several months without any takers.

I haven't dealt with poplar, but I think folks looking at it and reading that the don't want them chopped up on site would just pass.

Last edited:
Could I lift a 6' log that is 12" in diameter--maybe. Would it be worth the risk of a hernia, back problems, etc--no way! Plus poplar is just about last on my list of trees to make into firewood. Poplar basically has to come down across my driveway for me to cut it up.

We do it all the time, cut the logs in 8 ft lengths, strap them to the sled deck and then buck up once at home. Easily manageable with 2 people, and can be done with one if you load one end on the deck then lift the other end and push it on.

But the no further chainsawing on site is weird, honestly who would care?

A. It is a heavy stick of wood.
B. It is poplar, wood so crummy that I won't even burn it.

There are, rarely, good deals on firewood to be had on craigslist, but mostly it is just someone looking for a sucker.

Reactions: Prof
The "no chainsawing on site" probably has to do with insurance purposes. I know around here if you go to local electric co op to get old utility poles you have to sign a waiver first before you can cut on site.

The "no chainsawing on site" probably has to do with insurance purposes. I know around here if you go to local electric co op to get old utility poles you have to sign a waiver first before you can cut on site.
Do you burn old power poles? They say not to burn treated wood because of the chemicals in them.

A. It is a heavy stick of wood.
B. It is poplar, wood so crummy that I won't even burn it.

There are, rarely, good deals on firewood to be had on craigslist, but mostly it is just someone looking for a sucker.
Poplar dries fast and you do get 13.4M BTU per cord. It’s not great but if I cut one down in my yard like I do have to fairly soon I’ll split it and burn it since it‘s free and it‘s right here But no I wouldn’t go out of my way to go get heavy poles of it. Thanks but no thanks as they say.

I whacked a poplar right next to my driveway, and it fell right across the driveway. 18 inch diameter and 90 feet tall. I just cut it into 5 foot lengths, and shoved it off the mountain. I must say the stuff rots pretty quickly.
No, I am going for oak and locust. The lowest BTU firewood I burn is black walnut and I do have quite a pile of black walnut right now, and have a bunch more lined up for this winter. Huge black walnut went down a mile from my house and you can drive right up to it.
Black walnut is about 21 million BTU per cord. I do like to burn it, it is easy to split and I like the smell of it.

I will burn black walnut during the day, and at 11 pm it is time to go to bed I load up the stove with locust.

Locust is a species we don’t have up here but I see it’s on the top of the list for heat output. i usually burn Red oak, American Elm and White Birch and like I said rarely some Poplar if it’s in my yard. The first winter I burned wood though I burned just Poplar bc it dries fast and it’s easy to scrounge for free. That was ten winters ago coming up now.

the bark of poplar smells great when burned. the bad thing about poplar is if it is burned in a non epa stove it smokes like crazy even bone dry

another one - $220 for a cracked VC:

1641249059439.png

nope, other toys first :)

If that free poplar was posted in my area it would be gone within a couple of days - I guess everything is relative to where you live.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan Freeman