Todays score / Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilhelm911

Jan 27, 2013
Eastern Pennsylvania
Got a call from a friend, he says he's got 2 big oaks down in a pasture that he'd like to mow. Would I like the trees? Heck yea! So I get there and immediately see they are not oak. Forgot to take pictures of the trees before cutting, but I got a few of the rounds and some leaves. I believe they are red maple, what do you say?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376773010.165759.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376773024.599067.jpg

Toolip Pooplar, 100%.

Reactions: ScotO and Jon1270
No doubt about it. Tulip poplar all the way. They have a very unique leaf which makes it double easy to ID.

Reactions: ScotO
Yep, I second Woody and Dennis' sentiments with 100% certainty. Now, you'll here us say that poplar ain't the best wood to burn out there (and it isn't, really), but tulip is better than other poplars. It'll make lots of ash, but it'd probably be a good shoulder season wood. Get it split and stacked soon, you'll be able to use it next fall for SS, guaranteed....

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
As soon as I saw that upper leaf I thought "that's a Poplar leaf" 'cause there's one right outside the dining room door in the neighbors yard-in fact we had a thread on here the other week about them turning yellow earlier than other trees. Like Scotty said it ain't the cat's meow when it comes to fuelwood but it'll burn; makes good kindling or "shoulder" season (when it's not TOO cold out) like he said.

Take it and mix it in with the other better stuff for next season, and/or make some thin kindling splits as it ignites easily-smokes a bit, but ignites easily.

I would get it even though its poplar . it doesnt take long to season i primarily use it for daytime burns and to start fires you can also use it to mix in with other woods like oak and maple.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
If you have room for it, it's ok for supplementing, decent shoulder season stuff as mentioned above. It can be a frustrating wood because in my experience, it holds a ton of water, and is very heavy when green. I'd respond to friends/neighbors/scrounges about "really heavy wood that must be great for firewood" and it turns out to be tulip, which becomes light as a feather when seasoned.

Also, though the tree is commonly called "Tulip Poplar", it's ain't the poplar that many folks complain about as being awful for firewood. The poplar (or popple) that the folks in the north and midwest complain about is not the same species as what you have there. Now that being said, you aren't gonna confuse tulip for oak when it's burning in your stove, but it's certainly better than cottonwood/aspen.

Status
Not open for further replies.