Today's score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagtec1

Burning Hunk
Dec 22, 2010
PA
The wife saw a sign that read "Free Wood" in front of the lot that I have been eyeing up for weeks. There were quite a few LARGE trees taken down there recently, most of the wood was not bucked. My saw struggled, and I am pooped, but it only cost me $20 rent a trailer to haul it back. Wish I had more time today to get more.. I also have a secret CL find that I will be hitting over the next few weeks with Oak and Cherry for free. I am not sure what kind of wood I got today. There are a few rounds of oak that I took from the other place that are visible in the pics. They are cell phone pics, sorry for the quality.

2011-04-11144452.jpg

2011-04-11144528.jpg

The dark centers look rotten, but are not....although there was some rot down further on the trunk pieces. It certainly is heavy!

Jagtec1 said:
The dark centers look rotten, but are not....although there was some rot down further on the trunk pieces. It certainly is heavy!

The dark center rounds look like maple and the piece on the end looks like pine of some sort.

Zap / Good Score

I agree the end piece is definitely pine. Very limited experience with maple but it does look a lot like the Maple I scored not to long ago.

I'm no wood IDer, but that bark and wood looks alot like an elm I recently got (different from the american elm I also got). Ridiculously heavy, and this stuff smelled not good when I have been chopping it.

If it's stringy when split vertically, it's elm....if not, maple sounds good :)

Piece on the end definitely looks like pine to me as well.

There are definitely several types of tree in the pile. In the first picture, the big round near the left end is I guess the piece people think is pine. I see a few smaller pieces that might be the same tree in the back row. I agree it could be pine such as Scots Pine. Beneath that piece of pine there is a piece with bark that looks like White Oak. in the second picture there is a small diameter piece of a similar (same?) tree on the end of the row. Most of the rounds appear to be Norway Maple, or maybe Tulip Poplar based on the bark pattern. In the same pieces the small dark center with overall white or light wood reminds me of some big old Norway Maples I have seen. I don't know if Tulip can appear the same way.

You got "fire wood" Good score.
What's the hold up for getting it split? :)
Sooner the better, it will begin to season then.
Oak 2 years +.

Looks good Jagtec1

Billy

Hope to have it split by the end of the week, then it can sleep for a while. I have plenty for next year....somewhere around 4-5 cords c/s/s now.

Status
Not open for further replies.