Today's "walk on the newbie side"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobbin

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2008
So. Me.
We're down to the end of the seasoned stash for 2013/4 and we're makin' every fire count. We light one fire at night to defray oil consumption and by day the increased sunshine keeps the house plenty warm. The good man collected dead and down wood the other day, up to 3"D. It was chilly today (windy and cold) and I used some of it to "cozy up our apartment". I had one helluva time getting the bigger pcs. to "catch"; knew they'd been precipitated on and had soaked up the moisture and was expecting a challenge. I used the small stuff to get a nice fire started, added the biggest stuff, and put more of the dry stuff on top of it all. Ran the stove with the air intakes open even after I'd engaged the combustor. It's a "low and slow" burn on a very windy day and I had the time to "baby sit" the stove. But I was reminded of just how frustrating it can be for newbies to get a decent burn with marginal wood and little/no experience! Nothing like seasoned, dry firewood to make burning easy!

Reactions: PapaDave and pen
Sorry, Bobbin. Been a tough year for most of us. Atleast you have the experience to know what's happening, GF.

I remember my first season. 3 months in, and a clogged chimney. Thought I knew I had seasoned firewood ;)

Are ya ready for the next few seasons???

Reminds me of a March or two in the nineties. Out digging dead wet stuff out from under the snow to stack it by the stove to dry some and not too much later making it burn.

Tonight I am just biting the bullet and feeding the electric company's kids.

Reactions: Bobbin
I had a few of these moment last fall burning 2 yr old maple that was still damp. I am so glad that is over with .

What really struck me was what a drag burning can be when the wood is "marginal" (it's hard work to babysit a fire that stubbornly refuses to really burn!). I used the crappy down stuff to "take the chill off" but we're still using the dry stuff for nightly burns and in my shop. It was a good reminder of how frustrating it can be for newbies and why a site like Hearth is so needed and useful!

(All set for next year and into '15/16. We have a lot of splitting ahead of us when the snow recedes a bit more, mercifully there is a fair amount of red pine and that will dry quickly and help out if some of the wood intended for '15/'16 isn't as perfect as we'd like. I've also contemplated buying a cord/two from a guy in town and stacking that right away to add an insurance policy.)

Status
Not open for further replies.