Too much creosote?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Molsonc1

Dec 14, 2017
Canada
Hello everyone. I just finished sweeping my chimney and firebox and the end result was 3 cups of creosote. This was my first year burning wood in a new Pacific energy zc fp 25. I burnt mostly maple, beech and some oak. Is 3 cups alot? Am I putting my house and family at risk? Should I be doing a mid season clean? TIA

Attachments

• 20200913_124054.jpg
    20200913_124054.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 174
Reactions: Woody5506
Hello everyone. I just finished sweeping my chimney and firebox and the end result was 3 cups of creosote. This was my first year burning wood in a new Pacific energy zc fp 25. I burnt mostly maple, beech and some oak. Is 3 cups alot? Am I putting my house and family at risk? Should I be doing a mid season clean? TIA
First off that isn't really creosote. And regardless 3 cups is in no way excessive.

Reactions: Molsonc1
Nice job burning, that looks more like fly ash than anything, excessive creosote would be something like 1.5 gallons coming out of a standard 15ft chimney.
I'll admit here, back when I was living with my parents as a teenager my dad and I would cut up what ever we saw in the woods and throw it in the insert, little to any care on how damp the wood was, they called the chimney sweep to do a cleaning cause things were getting pretty sluggish and he pulled out about 7 gallons of crap from the 25ft chimney (almost plugged towards the top) thankfully there was no chimney fire, but that got my wheels turning about dry wood at a fairly young age.