Took A Walk In County Forest Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
And I came across an old logging area where there must of been 10-15 cords of 8' logs. There were 3 separate piles of Maple, Oak, Birch and also some various logs spred around. This stuff has been there for years, the Maple logs were all dark gray on the ends with the bark peeling off. The pile of Oak has about 1" of punk on the outside perimeter of the logs. How long does it take for stacked Oak logs to start rotting? What a waste, I need to go talk to the County and see if they would issue a firewood permit for some of this. As I went further off the road into the woods there were more piles that were well beyond salvaging, even a pile of rotten rounds.

I have been cutting from a 50 cord pile of 20' 12-18" logs for 4 years now since we had some selective logging done. The birch were not great after year 1 and a rotted mess now. Maple is still burnable but definitely past the window of goodness now. No experience with Oak logs. Beech seems to last pretty well.

I've seen piles like that, too. I guess for the harvester, this is just part of his business.
I sure wish scroungers were allowed to clean it up. Hate to see it go to waste.

I don't like to hook up the trailer and go out for less than a load which is a little over a cord. The loggers don't want to deal with anything less than the semi load especially if they are paying a trucker. And if they are working several different products with several different landings, those leftovers add up pretty quickly. Well, at least to people who think in cords.

If the oak has 1" of punk on the outside, it's probably still good inside. As long as it's not touching the ground, it will last many, many years. Even as it starts to get a little bit punky inside, as long as it doesn't fall apart when you split it, it's still acceptable.

You can see on the ends of the Oak logs that there is still plenty of good solid wood, but I wonder if the logging co would still want it with 1" of punk around the outside? And then there are some single logs laying around that are either split in half, damaged or just not cut to length. The biggest pile is Maple and they are only 6-12" diameter with only a few larger ones, perfect for firewood, maybe they left them because they were too small? I'll go talk to the County Forester on Monday, maybe he will hook me up, I'd hate to see it sit there and rot.

Todd, it sounds like you found the Mother Lode! For sure I'd check into it further....and quickly.

On that oak, we've burned some oak that has had 2" of punk on the outside. It burned like a charm too! As long as you can keep that punky part dry you are fine.

I talked with the county forester today and he new exactly what and where I was talking about. He said the logger is bucking it all up for firewood and he can't issue a firewood permit for it. Bummer. :down:

What a tease...I have been driving past a 20 ft high and growing pile of logs on the Interstate every morning on the way to the office. That big DOT No Tresspassing sign sucks, especially since it is only 3 miles from my house.

Well Todd, keep trying. It's like planting seed. Find some, ask. Some seed grows, some don't.

I cut some Oak this spring that had been in the ground since the fall of '05. The bark fell right off and was plenty solid under that. It was still even a little wet inside and still had that strong oak smell when I split it. I'm plan to go back for the rest as soon as the weather cools down some.
Too bad you can't take it. That would have been a score for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.