Took the plunge....new capstan winch.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EODMSgt

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2018
White Mountain Region, NH
I've had to pass on a lot of timber over the years that is just too far downslope to reasonably get, so I finally took the plunge and bought a capstan winch. Ended up getting the Portable Winch PCW5000 with 2,200 pounds pulling force. Tried it out for the first time today on a good sized beech I cut down yesterday that was about 100' downhill (it's much steeper than it appears in the pictures). I've used winches for over thirty years but there is definitely a learning curve with this one. I was getting faster with the technique as the morning drug on but was glad to have a friend helping. Ended up having to do two different angle directional pulls but was able to get all the logs up to an ATV trail for processing.

I read through a bunch of posts @peakbagger had written after getting his capstan last year so I had an idea what I was getting into. Lots of gear to haul, lots of rigging for different directional pulls, and much better in cooler weather than warm with black flies. Still, I'm glad to have it and it opens up access to a lot more good timber that I previously would have had to pass by.

Sorry, no pictures of the winch in action. Maybe another time.

DSC00810.JPG
DSC00812.JPG
DSC00813.JPG
DSC00814.JPG

At least you got the skidder cone to go with it. I still have not bought one . I have a similar size beech all ready to go but this one is a downhill pull. I have actually been reducing the kit I haul in the woods a bit. I expect pool players would be good at this, its takes a fair share of bank shots on occasion to keep the log from getting caught up. It can really increase the load is the log rubs on another tree, so I will set up strap on an intermediate tree with snatch block on it to pull it clear of the offending tree, then unhook the snatch block once I am past the offending tree. I also have learned that when the winch starts to load up I need to go take good look at the log as usually its a stub catching. agree its lot easier with frozen ground and bit of snow on it. Once the underbrush kicks in its harder to keep the rope from getting snagged.

I assume you figured out that you only need enough tension to grab the drum. The first times I tried it I had sore arms from trying to pull it faster than the capstan wanted to go. I have not done it with another person, I expect that would speed things up.

Another nice tool for the woods.

I've actually had the skidding cone for a while and was using it to drag logs behind the tractor, truck, or ATV. It's somewhat of a PITA to carry into the woods with all the other capstan equipment due to the size but it definitely helps.

How bad does the long tear up the ground on the back end that doesn't have the cone? I am considering one for my tractor skidding winch, but once the but end is up in the air the tail of the log is dragging leaving a furrow. In my mind I imagine some kind of Segway shaped device to sit under the back end of the log so I don't have to worry about tearing up my gravel drive.

@SpaceBus: the back end of the log doesn't matter when using the skidding cone behind a tractor, truck, ATV, or the capstan winch since the log is flat on the ground. It's the bottom of the entire log that drags on the ground. How much the length of the log tears up the ground depends on the soil you're dragging it over.

If you lift one end of the log using a 3-point hitch attachment, then the back end of the log will drag and could create a furrow in the ground. That's when a log arch comes in handy.

@SpaceBus: the back end of the log doesn't matter when using the skidding cone behind a tractor, truck, ATV, or the capstan winch since the log is flat on the ground. It's the bottom of the entire log that drags on the ground. How much the length of the log tears up the ground depends on the soil you're dragging it over.

If you lift one end of the log using a 3-point hitch attachment, then the back end of the log will drag and could create a furrow in the ground. That's when a log arch comes in handy.
Indeed, once I get the logs to the tractor and I have a few chained up to the skidding winch it can make a mess when dragging them out with the butt ends elevated right off the winch. I've yet to find a log arch that will work with my skidding winch since I need something for the far end of the log.