Tools Needed for Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

04HemiRam2500

Feeling the Heat
Jul 10, 2013
SW PA
This is my first wood stove the 30-nc. I wanted to know what tools I need for the wood stove. I was going to buy a fireplace tool kit but was afraid that the shovel and poker were too long. So, what Items do I need.

Stove top thermometer, metal bucket for the ashes, wood stove gloves or good welding gloves.

A decent 24-30" tool kit is not a bad idea. Don't buy a cheap set. Look for an ash shovel that is welded, not riveted or screwed. A coal rake, a poker with a spur, and broom are also handy to have on the hearth. A set of leather gloves, smoke and CO detectors and an ABC fire extinguisher are also must haves.

One very important thing to know as a new burner is that hot coals in the ashes can stay hot for days. After cleaning out the stove, never put the ash bucket on a combustible surface. (This includes leaves in the yard.) I set ours (a small, 10 gallon garbage can) on a set of 3 bricks to keep it well above the porch deck.

Welding gloves I keep near, happened to have them anyway. Don't always use them, but they need to be nearby, like hanging off a nail on the wall like mine.

For a poker, I took steel rod, 3/8" or whatever, and made my own by heating up one end [acetylene torch] and bending it into a loop handle. The other end, the "business" end, you can grind to a point if you want. I did bend the end into a bit of an angle, which helps me hook onto a piece of wood. They are so cheap to make, I have three of them, one at each stove and the fireplace. Big box hdware stores sell the rod stock for a few bucks if you don't have some lying around.

I have an ash shovel, bought it so long ago I don't recall where, but you can find them all over. Some are oddly small and not much use, I would think. Some are very flimsy thin steel. Might take a little searching.

That's all I have as far as tools for the stoves....

Home made tools can work well. My poker is just some 5/16" steel rod with a 90 deg bend 2" from one end. The end is ground down to a rough point. It works great.

I'm guessing you mean for using in/around the stove not processing wood or the list will get long quick, lol.

I have an antique tool set I bought many years ago that used to be decorative next to our old DV stove. Shovel, poker and brush. Sometimes I wouldn't mind one of those grabber things though.

Small ash bucket (another antique, that was a Christmas gift from DH) for inside.

Larger metal ash bucket with a locking lid for outside.

Small bellows for when there's just a few coals left on a restart. Also vintage, this was a Christmas gift FOR DH.

Welding or fireplace gloves.

Fire extinguisher.

Chimfex/similar if you want (puts out chimney fires).

Cleaning device for the flue (brush or soot eater) if you are doing your own cleanings.

Ash Vac if you're so inclined.

And not a tool nor is it needed but every stove (DV or wood) we've had has had one, including our VF fireplace:
a cricket (metal). They're supposed to be good luck, and my grandparents always had one on their hearth.

Thanks all for the comments I am looking at my first fire on Sunday or Monday can not wait!!!!!

Needed tools . . . really depends on the person and how they burn. I have never felt the need for a coal/ash rake, but other folks wouldn't go without one whereas I frequently use my cheap short-handled fire poker, but other folks never have used one.

In any case, here's my list.

Short-handled poker (bought from Northline Express . . . at the time they were a sponsor here . . . not sure if they still are): I use this frequently to gently move wood around in the hot box when reloading. The key here is the word "gently" . . . to avoid smashing the glass or bashing the baffle.

Short handled broom (bought in the same set): I rarely use this . . . and I think the one time I did I ended up melting the nylon bristles.

Short handled flat bottom shovel (same set): It's not a quality shovel, but I use this frequently . . . sometimes in place of the poker to adjust the wood and most often to move the ash around and let the ash drop down the grates into the ash pan, leaving the hot coals in the firebox.

IR Thermometer: Used this a lot in the first year, not so much anymore . .. which is good since the laser pointer no longer works. I still can read a temp, just have to get an approximate idea of where I am aiming. I still dig it out once in a blue moon though when I am curious as to whether the temp on the wall, hearth, stove, etc. is a bit hotter than I think it is.

Stove top Thermometer: Used this a lot in the first year . . . and still use it . . . although I tend to rely more on my probe style thermo in the double wall pipe more often when running the stove and adjusting the temp. Honestly, in the first year having this thermometer and the probe thermometer were very helpful in running my stove efficiently.

Probe Thermometer: Good for double wall pipe . . . I still use this every time I fire up the stove and would not run my stove without it.

Flashlight: Sounds stupid, but when I am sitting in a dark room just chilling and watching the fire occasionally I want to see what the thermos are reading without turning on the light . . . hence the flashlight.

Covered Ash Pail: Another item I would not go without. When running 24/7 I am dumping out my ashes twice a week . . . and the ashes and some small hot coals go right into this covered metal pail outside . . . which typically sits on a small concrete pad, hard ground or in the snow until the ash is cool and OK to dump in the woods or on my driveway.

Welding Gloves: This is another must-have "tool." I typically use the cheap welding gloves to load the stove . . . which can be very handy when a split has started smoking and doesn't quite fit and you need to adjust things quickly. That said, I was given some true hearth gloves that are thicker and have more insulation -- these are useful when I am hauling out a very hot ash pan and do not wish to be burned.

Cheap plastic dustpan and broom: My wife hates the dirt, bark, etc. that accumulates around the woodstove. Having this near the woodbox means a quick few seconds of sweeping the hearth and around the hearth makes her a bit happier.

Ash Vac: I wouldn't have had one of these if I had not won it in a contest a year or two. Now though . .. I almost hate to admit it . . . but I love the thing and would buy another one. The Cheetah Ash Vac I have is a bit noisy, but I do not worry about accidentally sucking up a hot coal and it makes the weekly to bi-weekly clean up much better. A side benefit I have noted is that I do not lubricate the air slider which is notorious for getting a bit "sticky" in the Oslo.

Poly Brush for the chimney: I'm cheap and do not hire a sweep. Plus by having my own brush I can sweep the chimney as often as I like . . . which usually is every month since for me it is a ground-up sweep and consists of a 10-minute job.

Fire extinguisher, CO detector, smoke detectors: Not sure if I would even count these . . . hopefully every home owner has these already since heating equipment fires are just one of the potential causes of fire in a home.

Reactions: Pat Matterson
Thank you so much firefighterjake!! This is a perfect list!

Status
Not open for further replies.