Top Plate Termination

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berner

Feeling the Heat
Feb 1, 2012
Eastern, MA
I believe any silicone caulk will work fine. I wouldn't spend $18 or more on a tube since the cheap stuff will work, but that's not to say the super expensive stuff won't also work. I used a $5 tube of silicone caulk on my top plate that I picked up at Lowe's and haven't had any problems in the three years it's been in place. I think what is more important is to make sure you have clean surfaces on the terracotta tile lip and on the bottom of the top plate. Clean the SS top plate with some lacquer thinner to get all the oils off it. It is also important to make sure you have some pressure on the top plate to hold it tight to the tile liner while it sets up. I accomplished this by putting some tension on the SS flex liner when I clamped it into the top connector before I tightened it down. Just be careful you don't pull so hard that you chit the position of your T-connector down at your stove.

GE Silicone II has worked great for me.

The two dollar tube of ACE Hardware silicone caulk on my two top plates doesn't look anywhere near tired yet. After ten years.

Ok thanks for all the input. Can't wait to try this new liner out.

Status
Not open for further replies.