Top Shelf verus Last Years Green Supremes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UpStateNY

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
May 4, 2008
Catskill Mountains
Last year I burned 3 tons of Green Supremes at $220 a ton plus gas to go fetch it from Lowes which was 6 round trips in my SUV. With my gas to go fetch, I figure last years GS pellets were $230 a ton = $690 for the winter. Just to get 3 ton to my house I had to physically pick up 3 tons of pellets twice. i guess it beats going to the gym.

August 2013, I had 2.5 tons delivered to the house from WoodPellets.org:
  • 1.5 tons Clean Pacific (soft wood) $468.85
  • 1. ton Cleanfire Hardwood $263.90
  • Total $732.74 ($293.10 per ton delivered to my driveway)
As of today 1/27/2014 I have 64 bags left.

I am hopeful that I will only have to burn 2.5 tons this year because:
  • This years pellets have more BTUs per bag than Green Supremes
  • Green Supremes generated significantly more ash which makes for a less efficient stove
One thing for sure, I am cleaning the stove evrery 3 week this year during peak cold times versus last year every 2 weeks. This could cut into the stove efficiency. It takes me an 1 hour to do the complete clean. I appreciate the less frequent cleaning.

I will report back later to let you know how I made out.

I did what your doing last year going back and forth. This time I payed $65 flat fee for as many tons I want got 3 and Home Depot delivered it right in from of my garage. Took me about 2 and a half hours to stack them in the basement. Made life much easier.

I did what your doing last year going back and forth. This time I payed $65 flat fee for as many tons I want got 3 and Home Depot delivered it right in from of my garage. Took me about 2 and a half hours to stack them in the basement. Made life much easier.

How is it looking so far. Do you think you will use less bags this year ?

Yup it was a whole less time consuming having the bags delivered in one shot. I had so much free time I didn't know what to do. ;)

How is it looking so far. Do you think you will use less bags this year ?

Yup it was a whole less time consuming having the bags delivered in one shot. I had so much free time I didn't know what to do. ;)
What I like about it is the clear bag I get to see if there bad ones. It is ashy as heck though but besides that my harman loves it:)

Last year I burned 3 tons of Green Supremes at $220 a ton plus gas to go fetch it from Lowes which was 6 round trips in my SUV. With my gas to go fetch, I figure last years GS pellets were $230 a ton = $690 for the winter. Just to get 3 ton to my house I had to physically pick up 3 tons of pellets twice. i guess it beats going to the gym.

August 2013, I had 2.5 tons delivered to the house from WoodPellets.org:
  • 1.5 tons Clean Pacific (soft wood) $468.85
  • 1. ton Cleanfire Hardwood $263.90
  • Total $732.74 ($293.10 per ton delivered to my driveway)
As of today 1/27/2014 I have 64 bags left.

I am hopeful that I will only have to burn 2.5 tons this year because:
  • This years pellets have more BTUs per bag than Green Supremes
  • Green Supremes generated significantly more ash which makes for a less efficient stove
One thing for sure, I am cleaning the stove evrery 3 week this year during peak cold times versus last year every 2 weeks. This could cut into the stove efficiency. It takes me an 1 hour to do the complete clean. I appreciate the less frequent cleaning.

I will report back later to let you know how I made out.

I bought 4 tons of FSU from HD and paid the 65 dollar delivery fee. The pallets were neatly placed under the overhang to my shed and me son stacked 2 tons in the shed - I knew there was a reason I had kids! When there was space we cracked open another pallet and shifted it to the shed..etc etc.

I bought 4 tons of FSU from HD and paid the 65 dollar delivery fee. The pallets were neatly placed under the overhang to my shed and me son stacked 2 tons in the shed - I knew there was a reason I had kids! When there was space we cracked open another pallet and shifted it to the shed..etc etc.
Nice I have daughters and didn't want to hear the complaining so did it myself lol

Status
Not open for further replies.