Torn between 2 Stoves: Jotul F55 or PE Alderlea T5

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vantrees

Sep 1, 2016
NorthernWI
Hey everyone. I'm torn between 2 stoves: Jotul F55 or the PE Alderlea T5. After reading over this forum and various other places they both look great, are almost equal, and my wife doesn't care. With the $250 rebate from PE, it makes it the same price as the Jotul. So they're both equally priced. The dealer didn't have the Jotul in stock, so I couldn't look at it. He really didn't care what stove I got, to him they were equal and came down to which one looks the best to me.

With that said, does one stove present more value or efficiency over the other? I'm kinda stumped, and I've got this feeling that I'm gonna have to just have a family vote.

The F55 is larger, more comparable to the Alderlea T6 in capacity. The T5 is 2 cu ft, the T6 is 3 cu ft.

Also from Wisconsin .... I'll be using mine in a second home on the north end of our borders.

I'm finishing up on the building process and have been looking for which stove to get for over a year now. Like others; I want to spend money wisely, get a quality product, and have it do everything I want. Okay, that last one never seems to happen. (I know in life the 80% rule.)

I've read more stuff on this forum than probably most. I've had my heart set on an Blaze King Ashford 30 because of the long burn times and it does so well in the shoulder seasons. This forum seems to have a true love for that product. I can understand why after reading about it and the pleasure other have gotten from it. BK makes a quality product for sure!

That being said, I always was worry about what it didn't do for me. I wanted a screen for burning with the door open because of the love I have for open fires. Others said to not waste my money on a screen - that it'll hardly ever be used. I understand their concern but also realize that they are burning almost full time during the heating season to supply their main heat source. I would like to burn with mine in the spring/summer when the mosquitoes are out and a bonfire is just not possible with the grandchildren going crazy. My second concern was the cat burner. Don't get me wrong here ... I understand they are very efficient and clean burning. I know with due care they can last 10 plus years before needing a possible replacement. My concern is that others may be using the stove and I know they won't be treating it the way I would. Last thing I need is someone starting up a fire in the Ashford and not engaging the cat (timing is everything). I know that I would be "worrying" all the time something I had no control over.

So it was up to me recently to make an executive decision and bail out on the Ashford. Trust me - I REALLY like and wanted that stove!

I had always been a fan of the PE Alderlea T6. Great review you can find here by a very active moderator (begreen). I went and looked at it and it is a real good looking stove. I just didn't like how the door didn't fully open (remember, I want a screen). I then looked at the Jutul F55. Quality stuff they are known for and it is evident. My wife didn't like the look - too plain for her tastes. Good reviews from members here - I could jump on that one easily.

I had written "begreen" and he mentioned exactly what I was looking at but added another he would "contemplate." That was the Quadrafire Explorer III. I checked it out and am real happy with everything I see. It has no cat and is simple enough to run that I would be able to get rid of some of that "fear factor" I have when others useing it. The door swings wide open, it's gorgeous and has a HUGE window. Is it the "best" stove? No, others will find faults with it and not like my logic for various reasons they find important. It works for me and what I (and others) will be using it for.

Read all you can about each one you are looking at with the search feature and you'll have a ton of info to go with. Then, go out and look at each one and get a feel for what you really like. Then, make a decision that gets you the most for what YOU want in the end. Numbers (efficiency ratings) won't matter as much as you think when you are looking at all these upper end stoves. Get a stove that does what YOU need it to do for YOU. These are all great stoves - don't try to find the "best" stove - try to find the "best" stove for YOU.

NOTE 1: Quadrafire makes a smaller one called the Explorer II (2.4 cu ft firebox with no top load).

NOTE 2: (For those Blaze King lovers out there ... trust me - if this stove was a main heater for my house I would be Ashford all the way!)

Reactions: Lake Girl
I just upgraded the woodstove in my cabin to a T5. I'd been lusting over the stove since I first learned about it. I've had 2 break in fires so far and all my expectations have been met or exceeded.

Reactions: CenterTree
I wouldn't be too focused on value or efficiency--these are both quality stoves. As begreen said, the main difference is the size of the firebox. The bigger the stove, the bigger the fire, the more it will heat, the longer it will burn. If you want to maximize heat output when necessary (who doesn't?), go with the larger stove. You won't regret a larger stove in northern Wisconsin, but you might regret a smaller one.

x2 for T6 or F55. The F55 is a heat hammer, but the T6 can be too if needed. You will be extremely happy with either one. The only shortcoming of the F55 (not particularly to me, but to some customers) is it has no ashpan. Not a big deal to me, Jotul was trying to keep costs down a bit. For its price, it is a real nice heating value. Can't go wrong with Jotul, PE, Enviro, Quadrafire, BK and others, lots of good choices out there.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Status
Not open for further replies.