Total NOOB needs advice before I burn down house...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
squatpuke said:
Thanks all for checking me out....

Yes...it's double wall pipe...and yes...the wall board the tile is on is 1/4" and the tile at least that also....so there's another .5+ inches to the back of the stove...to the wall...

Plus I'm pretty sure the manual said that the heatshield does not count in the clearance....so the REAL back of the stove is behind the heat shield...

I'm still concerned about the drywall....wife and I are considering taking the tile all the way to the roof....

Thanks again...I'll post any changes or other questions....

Really appreciate everyone's time...

You can tile all the way to the roof . . . but other than the aesthetic look you wouldn't be doing much for the R-value and wall protection since a 1/4 inch of tile applied to the wall without any air gaps doesn't offer much insulation value. However, if doing so looks good and gives you some peace of mind I would say go for it . . . it's all about doing what makes you feel comfortable (well that and staying within the codes and manufacturer's installation requirements.)

I just had a new stove installed, and the perception of hot to the touch and reality can vary from person to person. If you have access to one, I shot the upper rear walls with a IR Thermometer, and what I thought was hot, in reality is rarely above 110. That’s less then what my wood floor near the window gets on hot sunny day.

Might be able to get yourself a new toy for what the tiling will cost you ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.