Tow Vehicle Selection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
I guess I should've thought to ask you smart folks sooner, I'm headed to a car dealership this afternoon, and will probably buy a new vehicle to replace my 2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4. This is the vehicle I use to pull all my trailers, the largest being my 7000 lb. BigTex Vanguard 70TV trailer:

70TV.png

I'm debating between getting another Ram 1500, this time a Crew Cab, or a Durango R/T 5.7L Hemi. There are many pro's and con's of each I could list here, but rather than boring you folks with those, let's just ask the basic question:

Am I going to regret pulling this relatively wide and heavy trailer with a Durango? The Durango is actually rated to pull more than my current Ram 1500, but does require a weight distribution hitch (WDH) for a trailer this heavy, whereas the WDH is only "recommended" on the new Ram 1500.

My biggest perceived issue is actually not towing capability, but visibility. The body on the Ram 1500 is 9" wider, and it has much more substantial mirrors, and I'm used to towing my trailers with that rig. I know I can put silly big towing mirrors on the Durango, but doubt I'd actually be committed enough to do it, every time I hook up a trailer.

Have any of you towed a heavy or large trailer with a smaller SUV? What are your thoughts on this?

Curb weight: Ram 1500 = 5194 / Durango = 5331 lb
GVWR: Ram 1500 = 6900 / Durango = 7100 lb
Payload: Ram 1500 = 1700 / Durango = 1769 lb
GCWR: Ram 1500 = 13,800 / Durango = 13,100 lb
Max trailer: Ram 1500 = 8170 / Durango = 7200 lb

Now that I got the urgent question out of the way, for those who are actually interested in the background, here's my list of pro's for each option. In both cases, I'm primarily shopping off-lease 2015's, and will probably only drive this vehicle ~2k miles per year.

Durango R/T 5.7L Hemi AWD:
- Fits in my smaller garage, leaving my nice car in the attached garage.
- Holds 6 - 7 passengers. Better for hauling kids and family trips.
- Fits in city parking garages, including the one at the airport! I won't take my nice car to the city.
- Better daily driver / more fun than pickup truck.
- Leather interior and NAV at same price as pickup truck basic cloth interior.

Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi:
- Better tow vehicle (longer wheelbase, higher GCWR / max trailer, better mirrors, wider)
- Pickup bed (moving plywood, drywall, gas cans, fertilizer... all without my trailer)
- A few leftover 2016's that can be had CHEAP, or CPO 2016's at very low miles

Now I know we must be kin...

Anyhow - I have a grand Cherokee 4.7 (not the 5.7 you would get in the Durango) and it pulls my trailers just fine (boat and utility). I just bought a 2017 Ram 1500 quad cab with the 5.7 and 8 speed tranny. Limited slip rear end, factory trailer breaks - basically the whole deal. I have less than 1000 miles on it so far but have towed both my rigs several times now. Night and day difference between the SUV and the truck. The truck plays with the trailers. I often forget I am towing unless I look back and see something following me really close.;lol

Those new trannys are pretty cool. Smooth. The breaking ability from your old ram (I traded in a 99) and the new stuff is YUUGE!

If it was me I would be looking at 2500s. I have towed with plenty of 1/2 ton trucks and they do it but nowhere near as well as 3/4 ton ones. and the suspension on the dodge 2500s is still pretty forgiving. They definitely ride the best out of the big 3. I still personally prefer chevy or ford over dodge but our trucks are purely work trucks if I was looking for a non work truck I would definitely consider dodge. I can tell you that my extended trailblazer with a 5.3 tows better than my buddies chevy 1500 with the same motor. Not sure why it is better but neither come close to my F-250 hd with a 351 or the Chevy 2500 work truck with the 6.0

Last edited:
You got a big heavy trailer + when you load it , 3/4 ton truck is the way to fly. You got brakes to handle the load on a 3/4 t, marginal on 1/2 , less than that on an suv or 1/4t rig.
FYI 1/2 ton big trailer and max load maybe a tad over down hill slope about 2 miles long- trailer brakes went south- dang near melted the rotors off all 4 wheels of the pickup. about 1/2 way down the slope started picking up speed brakes fading out on truck only thing that saved my tail was County LEO got in front and we played bumper tag till we got it stopped. Rotors glowing a lovely shade of red hence my recommendation of 3/4 or 1 ton.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Thanks, guys. Bad LP, I just don't understand you blind brand loyalty guys, good or bad. I've owned 1/2 ton pickups from all three, Ford, Chevy and Dodge, and have nothing serious against any of them. Ironically, my current Dodge, which is the lightest built among them has been the most reliable by a very long margin, not having a serious repair in 12 years. My Chevy was arguably the most stoutly built, had the worst reliability by a long shot, requiring too many repairs to even remember today. Of course, others have had the opposite experience, based on a sample size of one. I can only say that all three are pretty damn good today, compared to the crap all three put on the road in years' past.

I pass two dealerships every day, a very large Dodge dealer, and a little tiny GMC dealer. The off-lease GMC's are few and unrealistically pricy, so it will be Dodge. I could buy Ford or Chevy, but those servicing dealers are far from home, and my local Dodge dealer gives me loaner cars, which is worth a lot to me.

Jags... yes, you and I think very much alike in most things!

I liked that the R/T Durango had a lot in common with my SRT car, in terms of interior layout and controls. The personality on that 8-speed transmission was set up much more aggressively than any of the pickups I drove, which is everything to me. The Durango was definitely the most pleasing to drive, without a trailer, which is what I'll be doing with it 90% of the time.

I drove two of their "Big Horn" pickups, which I found soft and disappointing. I also drove a Sport model 1500 with leather interior and 3.92 gears, which I liked much more. The tranny was still soft in shifting, but that's all programmable, if I find the right tuner.

I actually took the trailer pictured above to the Dodge dealer this afternoon, and towed it around a bit (empty, no trailer brake on the vehicle) with an R/T Durango. The mirrors need extenders, but it could work as a tow vehicle. Like you, I forget it's even there when towing the empty trailer with my 1500, and you feel it a bit more behind the Durango. However, with the same engine and just a tad bit more curb weight, the Durango is more than capable. I load that trailer right up to the 7000 lb. limit with fire wood, but really only tow it short distances. I might do much longer distances with my boat trailer, but that's under 2000 lb.

I love the huge Crew Cabs, but hate the short 5' 7" bed they're putting on them. There is a sport model with leather and 6' 5" bed coming to inventory, which might be the one for me. A little long, but either will fit in my garage, and neither will fit in my shop.

Still undecided. I think I need to spend a little time looking for tuners who have written tranny retunes for the Ram 1500's, which might sway me their way. If I could stiffen up the suspension, get it to shift like it has a pair and disable that godforsaken MDS system... maybe I'd be happy. Otherwise, the R/T Durango may win out, even being slightly less practical for hauling.

Last edited:
Towing package.....

Bad LP, I just don't understand you blind brand loyalty guys, good or bad.

Without question, the people I've known with dodge vehicles have had the most problems. Front end rebuilds, cracked heads, cracked cab welds, dead oil pumps. Every manufacturer has years and models to avoid, but I choose to avoid every model and year of dodge.

I think you're missing the point of my original post, blacktail. I do not fear any such fabled demise, often quoted and seldom realized. I do need to decide between an SUV and a pickup truck, if you'd care to chime in on that subject.

My wife votes for the Ram 1500, if that counts for anything. Of course, that was immediately followed by, "you should just buy whatever you want, that's what you're going to do anyway."

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
I'd go with the truck, Ram 1500. It's always nice to have a bed that doesn't have to be made...

It just seems like there is always something that's too messy to go inside and it's nice to have that space to toss things.

This is off topic, but I've always owned Fords. One major reason for continuing that trend is because I know how to work on them. I've never had any major motor/transmission/differential issues and they've been abused. If you are buying new I don't see any concern since it's under warranty. If you were buying used then it pays to know the trucks and what to look for to avoid. So since you know about Dodge, have close dealer support, seems like a good decision to me.

Reactions: saewoody and Ashful
I hardly call it blind brand loyalty.

Everybody I know with Ford SD's (gas and diesels) pump money into them. Brakes, front ends, motor work, ect. All of these trucks are worked and not beauty queens. I myself had a F350 for a plow truck that needed constant care.

My only Dodge was a 1991 Diesel. Outstanding work truck and built like one. Interior was nothing great but the driveline, engine and body did very well for the mileage I put on it. Guys I know with the newer ones including one Durango had nothing good to say.

My 98 GMC diesel was nothing close to the Dodge until I replaced the computer with a BD Engine Brake unit and it ran great until the 100K when the fuel injector pump crapped out. Had it replaced under warranty and traded it right away. From that point forward I replace my trucks (all 2500 gas engine GM's) at around 70K miles that normally takes 2.5 years. I get a great trade in value and don't put a wrench to them except oil and filters.
The one and only time I went with a Titan truck was a major disappointment. At 68K I already replaced the rear end seals twice and the muffler blew out along with the brakes failing. Couldn't get rid of that POS fast enough.

Along the way thru all of this I have towed a lot. From a large 4 place enclosed snowmobile trailer, a 21 foot Mako boat (heavy) multiple equipment trailers and currently a 7000 + pound boat on a triple axle trailer.

Good luck with your new ride whatever it may end up being.

Now...back to the SUV vs Pickup truck.

As stated above, I have both. When toying with options during my last buy I have come to the conclusion that if I could only have one it would be the truck, but I am not hauling people. That may/may not be the proverbial straw. I will also state that personally I am not sure I would be a fan of hanging your big trailer off the back of a Durango. I am aware that they are a very capable SUV, but they just don't have the physical stature of the truck. Width, length, weight are big players when towing.

(RUN ashful, RUN - I see a minivan lurking around the corner...._g;lol;lol)

Reactions: Lone_Gun
My wife drives a 1500 GMC Yukon SUV and I drive an F350 crew cab. SUVs are for girls, hauling large amounts of people, long road trips with sensitive luggage, etc. Get a pickup to haul a trailer or do actual work. We drive the nice SUV for girly, clean, trips like shopping or taking the kids to school, the truck is required when there is a job to be done. Both of these vehicles get the same mpg empty.

I am not brand loyal either. They are all pretty awesome right now.

lol... thanks, guys! @Bad LP, I see your point now, but your usage and mine are quite different. I won't do 70k miles on this truck in 20 years! I think I put about 2k miles per year on my truck, since I only drive it in bad weather or when hauling a trailer. All of my hauling is very local, the last several years, mostly firewood from just 10 miles away or taking my boat to the local lake.

My kid hauler is an SRT 392 Charger. You can call my noisy 6.4 liter sedan girly, if you want, Highbeam. ;lol It'll get the kids to school far quicker than your pickup truck! No minivan in our future.

I'm going with the Ram 1500. Waiting for an answer from the dealer now, on availability of one I found in their 2015 off-lease inventory. I'm bummed that they don't stock the Quad Cab with 6' 5" bed anymore, they're all Crew Cab now, almost all with less useful 5' 7" beds. My shorter Quad Cab with the 6' 5" bed was the ideal compromise for me, but because I do use this truck when I go the city, I'm going to resist temptation to go to the longer wheelbase to get Crew Cab AND a longer bed. I'll just need to use the trailer any time I'm picking up anything over 10 feet long, which isn't all that frequent anymore.

Me too. Maybe I need to look harder for a used Quad, if I can find one nice. Our local dealer only stocks them in Crew Cab for 2015 onward. Not buying new for this, since I do so few miles in the pickup.

When I got home this evening, I climbed into the back seat of my old Quad Cab Ram 1500, which is something I don't think I've ever done before. I'm 6' 0", and it was quite comfortable for me. I wouldn't want to take a 6 hour trip in that seat, but it's perfectly fine for regular daily driving with some larger kids in the back seat. I agree with you, Jags, the Quad Cab with 6' 5" bed is much better than these short bed Crew Cab trucks everyone has today.

The trouble is, used inventory on this configuration seems pretty thin. Finding a clean one with the options I want might be a challenge, and I don't want to travel to get it.

I'll second the need for a tow package.

I've been contemplating getting rid of my 04 1500, but its so capable. It does everything I want it to.

I've used my wife's 2011 3.6 Durango to pull around about 2500lbs and it does it without complaint. It's nearly the same weight, length and width as my 04 Tundra but gets a hell of a lot better fuel mileage.

Yeah, if my trailer were smaller and lighter, the Durango would get better consideration. But I load that thing right up to the 7000 lb. GTWR almost every time I haul wood with it. The R/T Durango (5.7L) is rated to 7200 lb. gross trailer, which would get me there, but it's right at its limit.

I'm personally irritated they won't put the 6.4L motor in the Durango or Ram 1500 anymore... gotta settle for that little 5.7L Hemi. ;hm I wouldn't even consider going to a 295 hp 3.6L motor in a vehicle that large, but I do appreciate you saving all that gas for me. ;lol

The R/T Durango (5.7L) is rated to 7200 lb. gross trailer, which would get me there, but it's right at its limit.

Be very careful about depending on anything resembling a "tow rating" with these little half tons and smaller. All too often you can't get there without exceeding the GVWR of the tow vehicle. Get a hold of the curb weight of the actual vehicle, the GVWR, and the GCWR. Axle weight ratings sometimes come into play as well as tire ratings but on the half tons you hit the GVWR really early.

This is how I went from my chevy 1500 pickup with 400#s of legal cargo capacity to my F350 with 2500# of legal cargo capacity. Tongue weight of a 7000# trailer is 1400# which as you see would not work for the 1500.

I'm personally irritated they won't put the 6.4L motor in the Durango or Ram 1500 anymore... gotta settle for that little 5.7L Hemi. ;hm I wouldn't even consider going to a 295 hp 3.6L motor in a vehicle that large, but I do appreciate you saving all that gas for me. ;lol

We actually test drove both and up to 60 didn't notice a huge difference or I would have pushed for the Hemi. I was pleasantly surprised with the 22mpg average for her daily commute considering it's the size of a bus.