Tow Vehicle Selection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
A friend at work has a newer ram with a hemi and flowmasters. It's one MEAN sounding package.

Reactions: Ashful
Ive had side exhaust on a couple vehicles but I never towed with them. I don't care for the sound of half a V8. It just don't sound right to me. Sounds much better when you hear both pipes.

Ive had side exhaust on a couple vehicles but I never towed with them. I don't care for the sound of half a V8. It just don't sound right to me. Sounds much better when you hear both pipes.
True, but this is not an isolated dual pipe system. There's a Y-pipe off the collectors, to a single mid-pipe and muffler, with two outlets off the muffler. So, you wouldn't have that classic "half-V8" sound on either side.

Reactions: Jazzberry
I don't want to hear that crap "it sounds cool" unless I'm in something that spells "youareinmyway".

Owned and built a few of that model. Flowmaster does not make it fast.

Reactions: Lloyd the redneck
I don't want to hear that crap "it sounds cool" unless I'm in something that spells "youareinmyway".

Owned and built a few of that model. Flowmaster does not make it fast.
Geez, you really do sound miserable. Of course it's not fast, it's a pickup truck.

As far as pickups go, it's faster than most, but it is what it is. Of course, that doesn't mean you need to have a problem with anyone wanting to put a Flowmaster on it. They don't add much to any car running a street top end, either.

Reactions: Jazzberry
It's not fast. It's a Dodge.
Lol... if you think I'm a brand loyalist who even cares about such things, you're wasting your time. I own Dodge for only one reason, and that is I drive past a Dodge dealer on my way to work every morning.

But, since I do read the news, I've picked up a few things:

The Hellcat Charger is the fastest and quickest sedan in the world, beating out the $130k AMG E63 for under $65k. The Dodge Demon is currently the fastest production car in the world, period. The SRT-10 was the fastest pickup in the world, while Dodge was producing it.

My fastest car was a Ford, which ran a best 9.81s quarter, but it was a kids car with a cheap POS interior. I hope they've improved in the 30 years, since.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jags
IMG_2512.JPG

The Dodge Demon is currently the fastest production car in the world, period.
No not period it is the fastest 0-60 that is it not the fastest in any other respect.

The Hellcat Charger is the fastest and quickest sedan in the world
the tesla p90d model s is much faster to 60
the Porsche Panamera Turbo is faster in just about every respect.

To be clear i am not saying anything bad about the dodges at all for the money they are quite possibly the best but what you said was not that accurate. Other than the srt10 that was an amazing but pretty useless truck

To be clear i am not saying anything bad about the dodges at all for the money they are quite possibly the best but what you said was not that accurate. Other than the srt10 that was an amazing but pretty useless truck
Hey man, no worries. I'm not a fanboy, or easily offended. I agree the SRT-10 was a frustrating miss, releasing possibly the most amazing power plant ever put in a pickup truck, but only offering it in 2wd?!? What the hell...

But, to keep the debate going...

the tesla p90d model s is much faster to 60
the Porsche Panamera Turbo is faster in just about every respect.
The Tesla S P90D is indeed a formidable car, but it's also an electric car that tops out fast (good 0-60, not much beyond that), and costs almost 2x more than the Hellcat. Also, on what planet is the Porsche's top speed of 191 mph faster than the Hellcat Charger's 203 mph? Did I misread the spec's?

What's most interesting to me is that every car to which the Hellcat Charger is compared, most notably the $130k Mercedes AMG E63 (which is the closest legit comparison), are all $100k+ cars. Dunno if you've sat in any SRT car, but my last four cars have been Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar, and Volvo, and Dodge/SRT has beat them all on interior, features, and performance at half the price. Very impressive.

The Tesla S P90D is indeed a formidable car, but it's also an electric car that tops out fast (good 0-60, not much beyond that), and costs almost 2x more than the Hellcat.
It is limited to 155 that is quite a bit beyond 60 and it get there in only 29 seconds

Also, on what planet is the Porsche's top speed of 191 mph faster than the Hellcat Charger's 203 mph? Did I misread the spec's?
No top speed of the hellcat is faster but the Porsche accelerates faster has faster lap times brakes better ect. Like I said it is faster in just about every respect. And if it wasnt limited it may have a higher top speed

What's most interesting to me is that every car to which the Hellcat Charger is compared, most notably the $130k Mercedes AMG E63 (which is the closest legit comparison), are all $100k+ cars.
Yes I agree completely and I said that above for the money they may be the best around.

It will get faster as parts fall off and the rust lightens the truck,if it's still running by then

I'v got a friend that has a 15 Dodge with the Hemi
So far he has replaced front axles,front tie rod ends,front bearings,fuel pump and rear brakes and rotors.And it has the "Hemi Tick"
My wifes 03 GMC with 140K miles,front brakes and rotors,1 front wheelbearing.

It will get faster as parts fall off and the rust lightens the truck,if it's still running by then

I need to remember that line!! Thanks.

I'v got a friend that has a 15 Dodge with the Hemi
So far he has replaced front axles,front tie rod ends,front bearings,fuel pump and rear brakes and rotors.And it has the "Hemi Tick"
My wifes 03 GMC with 140K miles,front brakes and rotors,1 front wheelbearing.

3 years bumper to bumper + 7 years powertrain warranty, so I assume this is under warranty. My 12 year old dodge never needed anything beyond tires, fluids, and filters. Would still be driving it now, if the body hadn't started rusting at age 12. Not a surprise, I only drive it on snow days and rain days, it sits outdoors unused most of the time.

I had a Chevy 1500 before it, and the damn thing spent more days in the shop for repairs each year than any other vehicle I've ever owned. The Ford was before that, and was more reliable, but it was disintegrating with rust.

Thankfully, they're all better today, than those POSs we owned in the past.

3 years bumper to bumper + 7 years powertrain warranty, so I assume this is under warranty. My 12 year old dodge never needed anything beyond tires, fluids, and filters. Would still be driving it now, if the body hadn't started rusting at age 12. Not a surprise, I only drive it on snow days and rain days, it sits outdoors unused most of the time.

I had a Chevy 1500 before it, and the damn thing spent more days in the shop for repairs each year than any other vehicle I've ever owned. The Ford was before that, and was more reliable, but it was disintegrating with rust.

Thankfully, they're all better today, than those POSs we owned in the past.
We have had a couple dodge vans and a couple dodge truck. We had an 80s dodge 3/4 ton truck that was a tank. Went to 240000 and we sold it still running good. Next dodge was a late 90s 2500 and it took constant front end work and 2 differentials before 100000. The first van was an 01 pretty good till 100000 the rear went. Tranny at about 120 then rear started making noise again around 140. Next van was an 06 and a total pos. Motor went at 40000 replaced under warantee. Tranny went at 65000. Differential at 80000. And motor again at 107000 and we were done with dodge after that. So i am not a fan of dodge any more it will take allot for me to buy one again

Buy what works for you
I am a GM guy.Nothing but good luck with them.My wife drove a 97 Sunfire for 13 years.It now has 175K miles.
It got used every day weather it was -40 F or 100+ F.It never let her down and i would put a battery in it and drive it anywhere still.It had 30K miles when she got it,total list of parts while she drove it...
-2 sets of summer tires,2 sets of winter tires
-Head gasket
-Alternator
-1 battery
- front brake pads and rotors
-air and fuel filters,and oil changes
-power steering line.
-headlight switch
It is still on it's original fuel pump,rear brakes,all shocks and all front end.The tires still wear perfect,had an alignment done when the car was put back on the road.It was a rollover that i repaired paid $500 for the car.
I told her she should look at cars to replace it,after a couple of months she decided she wanted another Sunfire.So i found a 05 the last year for them with less than 30K miles so she is set for the next 10 yrs if this car is as good as the last.

It can be really hit or miss i have had fords with no problems and fords with tons of problems. I have never had a gm that was all that bad but also never had one that was that great. My most reliable car was a mitsubishi eclipse i put 220000 miles on it and it still ran good when i traded it at 290000 miles but the clutch was barely grabbing. Also have had good luck with toyota and vw cars

Geez... you guys complaining about transmissions and motors going out after hundreds of thousands of miles of heavy use! I will sell this truck before it has 30k miles on it. ;lol Our usage is about as different as two drivers can get!

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Geez... you guys complaining about transmissions and motors going out after hundreds of thousands of miles of heavy use! I will sell this truck before it has 30k miles on it. ;lol Our usage is about as different as two drivers can get!
Yeah i know but the one dodge was only around 40000. If we got rid of them beforr 30k we wouldnt make it a year. I dont complain if i can get to 100k without any major repairs. But with the last few dodges we had that was not the case. And after the first motor in the second van we were told by dodge they would no longer honer the warantee because we abused the van by useing it with heavy loads and lots of yearly mileage. Well i am sorry but that is what contractor vans get used for.

Reactions: Ashful
I rarely sell any daily drivers,they get used till there is nothing left.
I sell lots of used cars/trucks from impound and ones that get repaired.Not very often that i upgrade a daily driver i have been driving my truck for 14 yrs

I also keep my vehicles 10+ years, salecker, but put less than 2k miles on my truck per year, only using it for bad weather or hauling. I do more like 5k miles on my car each year, which still doesn't amount to much over 10 - 12 years.

Geee my daily driver is a 2008 Tacoma with 308,000 miles so far.....
I use it
Jason%20July%202016%201_zpsv5885s8t.jpg
Road Trip !

Spirite%20-1%20_zps4qleclo9.jpg

Last edited:
They used to design refrigerators and kitchen ranges so that they'd last 50 years. The trouble is, folks would still want to replace them after 15 years, due to advances in features and changing styles. I see vehicles as the same, excepting those using them for their business, they may have mechanical lifetimes that long outlive their desirability.