Tow Vehicle Selection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
They used to design refrigerators and kitchen ranges so that they'd last 50 years. The trouble is, folks would still want to replace them after 15 years, due to advances in features and changing styles. I see vehicles as the same, excepting those using them for their business, they may have mechanical lifetimes that long outlive their desirability.
That is only true for a percentage of people many of us dont care that much if the features are outdated. As long as it starts every day and gets me where i need to go without taking to much work i am happy. Also on our daily drivers my wife and i both put on atleast 20k a year so even if we bought new which we dont in 10 years we will have 200k on our cars. And they usually start taking to much work before that point. We do both have other fun vehiles that dont get much use though. She has an MGA and a cherokee cheif. I have my old ford beater truck and an old j10. None of them see much use other than my ford it sees 3 to 4k a year

Reactions: smpol19
I am a hardcore GM fan but I had a an 01 Dodge 4x4 2500 with a 6 speed manual tranny. I bought it for $18k used with 40k miles. Sold it in 2013 with 270,000 on it for almost $17k. Best truck by far that Ive owned over my 46 years of driving and I have had a ton of different trucks. Wouldn't touch a new one with a ten foot pole though.

That is only true for a percentage of people many of us dont care that much if the features are outdated. As long as it starts every day and gets me where i need to go without taking to much work i am happy. Also on our daily drivers my wife and i both put on atleast 20k a year so even if we bought new which we dont in 10 years we will have 200k on our cars. And they usually start taking to much work before that point. We do both have other fun vehiles that dont get much use though. She has an MGA and a cherokee cheif. I have my old ford beater truck and an old j10. None of them see much use other than my ford it sees 3 to 4k a year
Cool! Pics of MGA and J10, when you get a chance!

Cool! Pics of MGA and J10, when you get a chance!
Ill get some rounded up her mga is in jersey at her parents now I don't have a garage at this house i was using my buddies but he moved. But we might be buying a new house with lots of garage space

Reactions: Ashful
I am a hardcore GM fan but I had a an 01 Dodge 4x4 2500 with a 6 speed manual tranny. I bought it for $18k used with 40k miles. Sold it in 2013 with 270,000 on it for almost $17k. Best truck by far that Ive owned over my 46 years of driving and I have had a ton of different trucks. Wouldn't touch a new one with a ten foot pole though.
You must have had a gun to the buyers head.

Look it up sa. They still cost that much today.

Look it up sa. They still cost that much today.
yeah but $17k for a 13 year old pickup with 270k miles on it is insane. Yeah the drive line in them is fantastic but the rest of the truck is beat at that mileage and age. Good for you for getting that much but I cant see why anyone would pay that much for a truck like that.

She has an MGA and a cherokee cheif. I have my old ford beater truck and an old j10.

I have a Cherokee Sport (love/hate relationship) but the Chief is kind of a dream car of mine. Would never get one here though, too much rust. Buddy has a military J10. Cool truck.

I have a Cherokee Sport (love/hate relationship) but the Chief is kind of a dream car of mine. Would never get one here though, too much rust. Buddy has a military J10. Cool truck.
The chief is still pretty rusty but the j10 has it all fixed. Still needs paint but is rust free and runs good.

This bad boy handles all my towing needs 2016 2500 turbo diesel
20170223_154325.jpg
blackout.jpg

Reactions: Lone_Gun and Ashful