Tractor Supply

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I bought a ton last fall that were OK, recent ones I've purchased, are super dusty, pellet lengths are more like pellet fragments,,.stinky...

Mine were fine. They are MWP's and they are always a nice solid, middle-of-the-road pellet.

I’ve gone through almost 2 ton this season. They are white TSC bag Curran hardwood. Heat output not as high as premium softwoods but good in all round quality and burning.

I’ve gone through almost 2 ton this season. They are white TSC bag Curran hardwood. Heat output not as high as premium softwoods but good in all round quality and burning.
Did you get them beginning of heating season ? If so mine were OK then, but now looking for something different..

Did you get them beginning of heating season ? If so mine were OK then, but now looking for something different..
I purchased one ton in the fall and a second in early winter. I use these in my garage in a Castle Serenity. I wouldn’t use them in my house due to the noticeable lower btu output compared to premium softwoods.

I think TSCs in different areas use different pellet suppliers. Here in central Michigan Tsc has Michigan Wood Fuels pellets. They're a pretty good pellet. I've been burning them on and off for 6 years and they have always burned fine.
Ron

Reactions: bogieb
My local TSC usually carries MWPs (in TSC bags). Those are always a nice middle-of-the-raod pellet. I also have been at TSCs 30 miles from me and the pellets in their bags (going by the code) are completely different. And there have been a few times where my local TSC bags came back as GS and I don't buy those.

Buyer beware! At least in my neck of the woods, TSC stores all their pellets outside in the weather. Many big box stores store them outside and I can't bring myself to buy from them, for that reason alone. Ground moisture from rain/snow can contaminate some bags. A lot of the retailers don't realize or care that pellet bags are full of breather holes.

I only know of one place around here that stores them inside. But a couple years ago I checked and they wanted almost $100 a ton more than TSC or Farm and Home for the same brand. Haven’t checked since.

I don't know of any place that actually stores pellets inside. The pallets are usually covered with a bag and the bottom (between the pellets and the pallet) have a waxed paper sheet. I've never had a problem unless the forklift got stabby. I've seen some places set an extra pallet under the bottom stack to help air circulation. When I've stored tonnage outside, I did the same thing and even when they were pretty much buried in snow, none of the pellets got wet. So unless they've taken the outer bag/wrap off, I don't think it is a big problem.