Traeger vs ????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

drewmo

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2006
Topsham, ME
Any opinions (silly question here) on the best pellet grill out there? From what I have seen, I'm led to believe Traeger is the go to grill. But I don't know much about the other manufacturers. I have Cabela club points that I can use towards a Traeger, but my local hearth shop carries Green Mountain.

Green Mountain Daniel Boone model owner. Amazing. Ive been very happy with it. I have a buddy with a early model Traeger. Also a great stove. My daughter has a cheaper Pit Boss and it seems to work just fine.

Most of my circle of friends has gone with Green Mountain. Probably because of the local dealer's. Ive never needed a part yet.

Reactions: Don2222
I own an Englander grill. Same people inVA that made my nc30 shop stove. It’s a little unique in that there is a bbq area but also a grill area with a cast iron grate directly over the open fire pot. Gets hot, I grilled burgers last night. Last weekend a 12# pork shoulder. I like the versatility.

The traegers are all bbq and there are so many of them out there that they must be decent. I like their online recipes. Chinese made with thin material.

The premium american made stuff like gmg are stouter, should last longer, but higher price tag.

Unlike gas grills you need to set aside some time to cook with pellets. Sometimes I wish I had a nice Weber gas grill for burgers and a nice pellet roaster for bbq.

Reactions: begreen
I have the nice weber gas grill for quick stuff, then the traditional weber charcoal dome grill for smoking / slow cook, cheap and east, I got the offset smoke and sear kit which is heavy duty stainless steel grate that keeps the charcoal to one side, it also has a separate water dish to add moisture, I really like this and I can make some awesome briskets in about 10 hrs, the simple charcoal grill is very easy to control to.

I went with the Traeger. Cabela's has a 10% off sale today only for club members. With that, and the points I have, I got the grill for under $350. Very much looking forward to some slow cooking!

Reactions: Highbeam
Green Mountain Daniel Boone model owner. Amazing. Ive been very happy with it. I have a buddy with a early model Traeger. Also a great stove. My daughter has a cheaper Pit Boss and it seems to work just fine.

Most of my circle of friends has gone with Green Mountain. Probably because of the local dealer's. Ive never needed a part yet.
X2, the new GMG prime WiFi pellet grills are the latest and greatest highest tech for the absolute best price!
The new Prime Plus grills are iceing on the cake!!
See my pics In the link below!
I just did a 10 hour pork butt until the inside temp was 165 Deg F and my iPhone beeped when ready! It was perfectly done!!

Attachments

• 75FFFD2A-3D90-45E3-B367-D4E72D41516D.png
    75FFFD2A-3D90-45E3-B367-D4E72D41516D.png
    351 KB · Views: 142
  • 47B27B76-E988-4AA0-8475-AE3BD8215259.jpeg
    47B27B76-E988-4AA0-8475-AE3BD8215259.jpeg
    243 KB · Views: 134
  • E33CFA68-6E02-4267-B748-382170249955.jpeg
    E33CFA68-6E02-4267-B748-382170249955.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Reactions: moresnow
I went with the Traeger. Cabela's has a 10% off sale today only for club members. With that, and the points I have, I got the grill for under $350. Very much looking forward to some slow cooking!
Cabelas 10% off is everyone else's retail price. I used to buy a lot there (store is 2 miles from me). I have not been in there in at least a year. Ever since Dick Cabela sold out it's all downhill. Like their clothes. All plastered with the 'Cabelas' name, over priced and made of Chineseum materials in some sweat shop. I'll pass. I do like their fudge however.

Being old school, I despise propane grills. I don't like the smell of propane anyway. The odorant in it makes me ill. We BBQ and make steaks and chops on real hardwood chunk charcoal, No pressed briquettes either.

Propane is for heating the house, not cooking meat on.

Being old school, I despise propane grills. I don't like the smell of propane anyway. The odorant in it makes me ill. We BBQ and make steaks and chops on real hardwood chunk charcoal, No pressed briquettes either.

Propane is for heating the house, not cooking meat on.
You have never cooked with a weber.. I thought the "flavor bars" were a gimmick. Now everyone is copying them. I have a weber gas and a pit boss smoker. Each has its purpose. I would not smoke 4 days a week. In the summer we do fire up the grill 3 or 4 times a week.

You have never cooked with a weber.. I thought the "flavor bars" were a gimmick. Now everyone is copying them. I have a weber gas and a pit boss smoker. Each has its purpose. I would not smoke 4 days a week. In the summer we do fire up the grill 3 or 4 times a week.
I've had a Weber for 20 years. It's the n o longer made circular one made from 1/8" thick steel. Weighs about 200 pounds. I've replaced the grills a couple times but that is it. Chunk charcoal only. No profane propane in this house.

I still have my gas Weber with the flavor bars. Lol
I can turn the GMG pellet grill up to 400 - 500 for fast cooking like a regular BBQ.
So what do you still use the gas BBQ for??

I can turn the GMG pellet grill up to 400 - 500 for fast cooking like a regular BBQ.

I too can get 500+ over a cast iron grate over the pellet fire pot of my grill but it takes a while and a lot of pellets to get ripping hot. At those high temps the pellet heat has so little smoke that it’s just clean heat. I would like a nice stainless gas grill for those grill sessions like burgers.

My pit boss is the upright.. takes too long to heat up, so if we are justing doing chicken or burgers, on the webber it goes. I smoke ribs an whole roasters a few times a year on the pit boss.

I receive e-mails from this site. Pellet grills mentioned today ...