Trailer storage tent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
I’m thinking of purchasing one of those tent car ports I sometimes see, for storing my tandem axle trailer. Basic dimensions are 20’ long x 8’ wide. Not really sure where to start, on brands or vendors. Will be tucked into the woods on the lower corner of my property, so likely looking for a dark color (brown or green) cover which will just blend in.

Could also use advice on base construction, to keep ground moisture from rotting out the undercarriage of this trailer. Likely gravel over a vapor barrier.

Thanks!

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I’m thinking of purchasing one of those tent car ports I sometimes see, for storing my tandem axle trailer. Basic dimensions are 20’ long x 8’ wide. Not really sure where to start, on brands or vendors. Will be tucked into the woods on the lower corner of my property, so likely looking for a dark color (brown or green) cover which will just blend in.

Could also use advice on base construction, to keep ground moisture from rotting out the undercarriage of this trailer. Likely gravel over a vapor barrier.

Thanks!
Good idea. My neighbors 2 year old trailer is already turning from black to reddish brown sitting outside.

I will say, this is a disappointing departure from the usual Ashful overkill. I think a nice timber frame with an engineered arched roof and an epoxy coated poured concrete floor would be a nice suitable shelter for the trailer.

Will the tarp stand up to wind storms and fallen branches? I have considered the metal car ports...they offer color choices.

Northern Tool has all kinds of structures like you are talking about. I just got a catalog from them. Most are very sturdy & resilient. Folks around here use the larger ones for machine sheds, car ports & livestock sheds. Large hail & tornados are the only thing damaging them.

Also if it’s gonna be in the woods why not build it out of pressure treated lumber and metal roof. Frame it like a pole barn. Cheaper than the metal ones they sell and pretty dang easy to build. (6) 4x4 posts poured in concrete piers. Simple roof structure and some side wall girts for some lateral stability and you’ve got a nice 8’x24’ shelter.

Iv been using the shelter logic sheds for years. I store my atvs in it keeps them quite dry. I have noticed that it will get moisture gathering on the roof when u get drastic temp changes. My only gripe is the zipper on the door does not last getting used everyweel

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Thanks, guys. I'll check all of these out. A permanent structure may be in the future, but right now, I'm just tired of watching the brand new trailer sit outside and rot. Getting 'round to the permanent structure has taken longer than I can tolerate, mostly because I've changed my plans a few times, re: wood storage. Putting this thing under a tent will let me explore a different plan for wood storage, while relieving the pressure to get a permanent roof over the trailer.

I'm not sure how the fabric will hold up to an errant tree branch (and I do have some dying ash in that area). We'll just have to see. I'm not sure an aluminum shed would hold up any better, and I have a feeling the fabric type tucked away in a corner of the yard surrounded by trees might just look better.

Last edited:
been going through the process my self, i have a bunch of toys no it would be nice to keep them in a few sheds instead of having to move everything, i had one of those 10x20 ones, didnt last one bad storm. all the poles bent. i would one of two things. i bought some corrugated metal when lowes had it cheap nov dec time and built a lean to for the tractor, 7x 21 the wood frame is. they set the inspection limit at 144 sqft and didnt have to follow much code. they say its got to be crazy snow and wind rating so. i know it will hold up though ive done some construction. but the other option is to find your codes and get one of those metal carports, even my crazy code lady one was only like 1200 for a 8x20, and you can put side on when they leave. but you know that will hold the weather in your area and they set it up and warranty it in most cases

I used a shelter logic brand for my boat for years until I had a garage big enough to store it in. The work great and hold up pretty well. I would definitely put down a moisture barrier and some crushed stone and get the vents for the doors. Or if it's just for a trailer, leave the doors off. They can turn into a greenhouse pretty quickly from ground moisture.

I started looking at Shelter Logic last night, and the round price for something decent in this size is $1000. At that price, I’m thinking I might just build a pavilion roof, after all. I somehow expected these fabric tents to be about half the price I’m seeing, which would have made it fine (in my mind) for a temporary thing.

Choices, choices...

One issue is that this is right on two property lines (corner of my lot), and while both neighbors indicated they’d be fine on signing a variance on the set-backs (it just backs up to their woods), the township zoning guy indicated he’d never allow it. The tent can be moved, it’s portable. Hard to argue that with a post and beam pavilion.

I would never waste the money on a tent, with how much they are, metal carports seem to me a much better value. only a bit more and its going to last forever. I would find a way to do it more on your property if that's the issue

Reactions: WiscWoody
I would never waste the money on a tent, with how much they are, metal carports seem to me a much better value. only a bit more and its going to last forever. I would find a way to do it more on your property if that's the issue
Look into a used Sea Can,20 Ft should be about right.Or buy 2 and place them x ft apart and build a roof over them,then you have 2 secure lockable sheds with open air roof covered area for your trailer and...

I started looking at Shelter Logic last night, and the round price for something decent in this size is $1000. At that price, I’m thinking I might just build a pavilion roof, after all. I somehow expected these fabric tents to be about half the price I’m seeing, which would have made it fine (in my mind) for a temporary thing.

Choices, choices...

One issue is that this is right on two property lines (corner of my lot), and while both neighbors indicated they’d be fine on signing a variance on the set-backs (it just backs up to their woods), the township zoning guy indicated he’d never allow it. The tent can be moved, it’s portable. Hard to argue that with a post and beam pavilion.
Frustrating attitude from the township zoning guy, who gets paid with your tax dollars. Since becoming a property owner I've come to the hard realization that we never really own the land, we just lease it from the township/county, along with their rules. The setback in my township is 50' from the property lines.

Reactions: Ashful
I ended up going the way I did because the crazy town lady arbitrarily raised the wind and snow load requirements to about 20 percent higher than all the rest of ny, which makes the prices about 50% higher. even when I talked to the amish shed guy he said it doesn't meet that. that's the best sheds there are. the only things that do are the metal carport ones now and those quansate huts if you pay for the tough one which are like 10k. I live in a rural area and I only have one neighbor that kinda can see my yard. cant believe how crazy things have gotten. inspires people to do it the wrong way really

Look into a used Sea Can,20 Ft should be about right.Or buy 2 and place them x ft apart and build a roof over them,then you have 2 secure lockable sheds with open air roof covered area for your trailer and...
I've been joking with one of my more particular neighbors that I'm gonna get a couple of the cans like you described. Actually really like the idea, but will have to wait until I'm in a more rural setting to do it.

those are not very wide, and 3-5k by the time you get it delivered. you can get a metal carport with sides and doors for half that in most of the country, that would actually fit a trailer

those are not very wide, and 3-5k by the time you get it delivered. you can get a metal carport with sides and doors for half that in most of the country, that would actually fit a trailer
Just checked out the carports available. The arched roof ones are sharp! And you are right, pretty cheap. Now you got me thinking about gettin' one for the cars. I might be too tempted to convert it to a woodshed.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
what ever floats your boat. I'm sure the wife would rather see the wood the under something, or not see it for once, but I really don't care the piles are behind my house where no body else can see. might be different if we had closer neighbors

it has gotten to the point where if you want to blink 3 times per second you need a permit. This whole permit thing is just a money collection racket besides the hand in your pocket yearly. My home- owb are banned- I live in farm country - $35 permit fee for each wood or pellet stove. I guess the days of being self sufficient are no longer politically correct.

We went through a bunch of cheap 10x20 tents at work before buying them from King Canopy. Since then we have had 1 damaged and it was when the anchors pulled out of the ground. They're well made and all the parts are available without having to purchase another kit.

https://www.kingcanopy.com/item/hc1020pcsl/hercules/

I then use one of these in each corner with a ratchet strap run up over the corner supports.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...stake-large-for-pets-up-to-80-lb?cm_vc=-10005

Then use 2 of these in each of the post bottoms so 16 total.
https://www.kingcanopy.com/item/stake-gar/anchors-cables/

Last summer we had one up for 2 months with a few days of 50+mph winds and no problems.

Up here the shelter logics and similar don’t seem to last long. Mine lasted just 2 years and went down during a heavy snowstorm. My neighbor put one up that is higher and has a better roof angle to shed snow better but his tarping got a rip from front to back when he had the door rolled up on a windy day. I replaced mine with a steel car port type of shelter, they cost more but they are durable. And when money allowed I added the full sides to it and then the back later. The front is open so moisture isn’t a problem but I know of someone who bought used flat roof rubber roofing after it was taken off a roof. He said he just called around to some flat roof companies and that they sell the stuff. He didn’t cover it but just laid it on the ground. I suppose it can be covered with gravel though.

My thoughts exactly

I have to admit, that vertical style in 12x21 size might be the perfect fit, and it’s only $1200 installed. Not as pretty as a wood structure, but damn cheap and might not look bad in the right colors. Thank you for posting that @spoon959.

Status
Not open for further replies.