Transfer propane One tank to another

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsmaster

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2010
N.W. Ohio
i have a 500 gallon tank with 37% in it from a home I sold. Is it possible to transfer some of it to a smaller tank ?

No, It's my tank and they don't want to buy it. Had two tanks and only sold one with the house.

I'm bringing the tank home to where I live, but don't heat with propane. Was wondering if its possible to fill my 100# tank with whats left in the 500 gallon tank. also have a camper with two 20# tanks id like to fill.

I believe if you connect two tanks together the pressure will slowly equalize between the two tanks... But the second take will never get more full then the first. So you probably can get some but not all out of the 500 gallon tank.

The propane company won't come and empty the tank?

I believe if you connect two tanks together the pressure will slowly equalize between the two tanks... But the second take will never get more full then the first. So you probably can get some but not all out of the 500 gallon tank.

The propane company won't come and empty the tank?
Havn' t asked them. I'm sure they wont do it for free. Ill probably just move it and use the propane to heat the shop or something

Reactions: Mike Fromme
Its hindsight, but I've always included a clause in Sales Agreements for houses I've sold to include the oil or propane credit. This might be a case of being thankful you have a buyer and can close, and not worry about the few hundred $.

Check your state and local codes if you want to transport the 500# tank. Here in NH it cannot be transported at more than 5% - your state may be different. And yes, the propane company is most likely to charge you for emptying it out.

Check your state and local codes if you want to transport the 500# tank. Here in NH it cannot be transported at more than 5% - your state may be different. And yes, the propane company is most likely to charge you for emptying it out.
I've never been much on rules.

Its hindsight, but I've always included a clause in Sales Agreements for houses I've sold to include the oil or propane credit. This might be a case of being thankful you have a buyer and can close, and not worry about the few hundred $.
I give them one tank with the house. I offered to sell the other one and they didn't want it so I'm taking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.