Transitioning from Propane to Wood - Conversion Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

justalewis

May 27, 2022
WA
Hello everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster.

Forgive me if this has already been posted - I searched and found information on inserts but I have a question about free-standing.

So, here goes: I want to transition from a free-standing propane stove to a wood burning stove. I realize that I'll need to build a pad and firewall (all to code!) but my question is related to transitioning from the current chimney/flue setup to one suitable for wood. The house is approximately 1300 square feet . . . so if you have any recommendations for a great stove, let me know. I'm thinking of Jøtul F500 or equivalent.

I've included pictures of the current setup of the propane stove in both the interior and exterior. I'm pretty sure the current setup is just for venting so I'm curious what kinds of packages I'll need for the transition. I imagine something like the DuraPlus Cathedral support kit (https://www.northlineexpress.com/6-duraplus-cathedral-ceiling-support-kit-dp620.html) or something akin? I'm actually having a new roof installed soon, too, so the opportunity to install this without the interference of shingles is on the horizon.

Any recommendations for how this process should proceed are welcome. Thank you so much for reading!

Exterior Chimney.jpg Interior WoodStove.jpg

Welcome. You are correct, everything will need to be replaced. I would recommend using DuraTech, not the DuraPlus value line. DuraTech is a superior system with better insulation that doesn't need the extra air-cooling layer.
There are many stoves that will work here. Check out the Jotul F45 and PE Alderlea T5 if you are looking for a more traditionally styled stove.

Reactions: justalewis
Hello everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster.

Forgive me if this has already been posted - I searched and found information on inserts but I have a question about free-standing.

So, here goes: I want to transition from a free-standing propane stove to a wood burning stove. I realize that I'll need to build a pad and firewall (all to code!) but my question is related to transitioning from the current chimney/flue setup to one suitable for wood. The house is approximately 1300 square feet . . . so if you have any recommendations for a great stove, let me know. I'm thinking of Jøtul F500 or equivalent.

I've included pictures of the current setup of the propane stove in both the interior and exterior. I'm pretty sure the current setup is just for venting so I'm curious what kinds of packages I'll need for the transition. I imagine something like the DuraPlus Cathedral support kit (https://www.northlineexpress.com/6-duraplus-cathedral-ceiling-support-kit-dp620.html) or something akin? I'm actually having a new roof installed soon, too, so the opportunity to install this without the interference of shingles is on the horizon.

Any recommendations for how this process should proceed are welcome. Thank you so much for reading!

View attachment 295799 View attachment 295800
I second everything begreen said. And would add most modern stoves don't really need much when it comes to the hearth. They mostly just need a non-combustible surface. And you don't need anything on the wall

Reactions: justalewis
I have a question under the same "propane to wood conversion" subject. Attached is a picture of my propane stove. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to convert to wood? Thanks in advance.

1668444260322.png

What is on the outside for a chimney? This would not be convertible if it is connected to gas chimney pipe or just vented with a cap on the outside. If that is the case, it would need a tear out and a rear-vented wood stove connected to a new, high temp class A chimney.

Last edited:
This would not be convertible if it is connected to gas chimney pipe or just vented with a cap on the outside. If that is the case, it would need a tear out and a rear-vented wood stove connected to a new, high temp class A chimney.
Thank you for your response. So what you are saying is, if it is connected to a gas chimney pipe or just vented with a cap on the outside, I would need to start from scratch with a new wood burning stove and new chimney piping? Here is a picture of the outside chimney. I don't know if you can tell what type it is. I am going to have someone come out and take a look at it, but wanted some thoughts before I do. If I had to start from scratch (new stove, new piping), do you think because I have some of the infrastructure already in place, it may be less expensive than starting completely new? Thanks again.

1668444903888.png

Someone will need to determine what was used but it's likely the chased chimney pipe is specific to gas. If so, there are no reusable components.

Someone will need to determine what was used but it's likely the chased chimney pipe is specific to gas. If so, there are no reusable components.
Thanks again. Gaining a little knowledge ahead of time is very helpful. If the chimney pipe is specific to gas, do you think it would be a simple transition to wood piping using that same chimney?

A gas chimney is not reusable for wood burning. Wood burning needs a larger and much higher temperature flue system.

A gas chimney is not reusable for wood burning. Wood burning needs a larger and much higher temperature flue system.
Understood. Based only on what you believe may be the current set up, do you have any suggestions on what may be the easiest and most economical way to change my system from propane to wood. Thanks in advance.

It will take eyes on site to verify, but I suspect it will require the possible removal of the outdoor chase, the removal of the gas chimney pipe, and removal of the stove. If the desire is to keep the current look then it would require the purchase of a rear vented wood stove and a new chimney system with appropriate wall pass-thru, The chimney pipe can be left exposed, or a new, chase constructed or at least repaired.

It looks like there is history behind the current location. I see a bumpout on the outside that looks like there may have at one point been a zero-clearance gas fireplace located there. This is not apparent on the interior, so it may be covered up. This makes the opening of the chase unknown. There may or may not be enough room in the current chase to provide the correct clearance for 6" class A chimney pipe. That is TBD.

It will take eyes on site to verify, but I suspect it will require the possible removal of the outdoor chase, the removal of the gas chimney pipe, and removal of the stove. If the desire is to keep the current look then it would require the purchase of a rear vented wood stove and a new chimney system with appropriate wall pass-thru, The chimney pipe can be left exposed, or a new, chase constructed or at least repaired.

It looks like there is history behind the current location. I see a bumpout on the outside that looks like there may have at one point been a zero-clearance gas fireplace located there. This is not apparent on the interior, so it may be covered up. This makes the opening of the chase unknown. There may or may not be enough room in the current chase to provide the correct clearance for 6" class A chimney pipe. That is TBD.
One last question, if I may. You have been very helpful providing me (honest) food for thought before I have the site inspected by an installer. Would it be possible to leave the current propane stove in place, continuing to be workable, and install next to it (from the picture, to the left of the propane stove), a new wood stove? Maybe it would be less complicated and more economical?

It might be a little less expensive, but not a lot unless the flue system went straight up in the interior and through the roof. Then there would be a notable saving on the flue system piping. The interior pipe would be double-wall connector stovepipe and only the exterior portion above the roof would be the more expensive chimney pipe.

Note this is also an option for replacing the propane stove if desired. It would eliminate the cost of removal of the gas chimney which would just get capped and it opens up the possibility of getting a top-vented wood stove which is more common. In this case, you might eventually want to completely eliminate the chase and bump out on the exterior, but it would not be immediately necessary to get the wood stove operational.

Does that make sense?