Travel concerns?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

woodnomore

Oct 3, 2019
Central MN
With this crazy new virus, I am not too concerned yet but mindful. I travel a lot for work, I have 32 trips scheduled for this year and there will also be extra trips thrown in. I will not be able to avoid traveling thru Detroit, Atlanta, and LAX probably my least favorite airports in the world. I would be super pissed if I got the virus and died because I had a layover in Atlanta.

You can track cases of the virus here:

In other news, as of 2 days ago, 8,200 (that's eight thousand two hundred) people in the US have died from influenza this season:

Reactions: Highbeam
You can track cases of the virus here:

In other news, as of 2 days ago, 8,200 (that's eight thousand two hundred) people in the US have died from influenza this season:

I have had the shot for the flu.

I have had the shot for the flu.
That's a good thing. :)

You can still die from the flu, though, and as of right now you are 3 million times more likely to contract it (15 million cases in the US) than Wuhan virus (5 cases in the US).

Reactions: AlbergSteve
I havent had a flu shot in probably 20 years. I likewise havent had the flu in at least that long. Im not against flu shots necessarily but i feel washing your hands is most important. And most folks that die from flu actually end up with pneumonia and that is what kills them. One of our city council members died this weekend from it.

Last edited:
I'd say you are screwed....lol

if I was 53, I'd be a who*e..... I've never had a flu shot and don't plan on getting one either. I will say I have had both my pneumonia vaccinations, it's a 2 year deal, one and then a year later another one. First one hurts like hell, my arm wanted to fall off for about 3 weeks but the second was only a week. I'm good for life now.

My wife works at a school every sick kid that checks out of school sick goes thru her desk. Like I said any defense is a good defense, as well as appreciating another perspective and learning from it rather than trying to be righteous.

My wife works at a school every sick kid that checks out of school sick goes thru her desk. Like I said any defense is a good defense, as well as appreciating another perspective and learning from it rather than trying to be righteous.

I'm kind of surprised she hasn't gotten sick. Kids have to be the primary spreaders of flu virus and colds. They sneeze and cough and never cover their noses or mouths.

Actually, the best defense is a good offense. Stay away from kids and adults that appear sick and don't have the common decency to cover their mouths or noses when the sneeze or cough. You breathe that in, you just contracted their virus.

Not righteous at all, just play it smart.

far as flu goes, you get a flu shot, you may still get it because there is more than one strain floating around and the shot only immunizes against a select few.

Far as corona virus goes, there is no immunization as of right now so, you contract it, you are screwed and again, the best way to not contracting it is a good offense.

SM is right. To put things in perspective, an average of 35,000 people die from common flu per year in the US. Still, we have a local board member that is driving up from Baja instead of flying. Question is, how do you know that someone with a virus didn't sneeze all over the bathroom you are in or sleep in the motel bed prior to you?

I hear ya. Like i said i have nothing against the shot. When i get up in years i suppose i will start getting it as well. I dont think anyone thought u were trying to be self righteous and yea my wife is a rn and works at local clinic....my mother owns a daycare and i have two kids with one on the way. I live in a germ/bacteria factory lol.

SM is right. To put things in perspective, an average of 35,000 people die from common flu per year in the US. Still, we have a local board member that is driving up from Baja instead of flying. Question is, how do you know that someone with a virus didn't sneeze all over the bathroom you are in or sleep in the motel bed prior to you?
I've sometimes wondered (not seriously, of course) if we could enforce a 'staycation' for everyone on Earth for, say, a month so that all the contagious diseases could run their course and die out. I would happily stay at home and not contact any strangers for any length of time necessary...:)

I guess my first thought that this thread suggested to me is that it is unfortunate that the bandwagon of news reporting causes us to get excessively concerned about some novel (but real) danger while we continue to ignore those (real, and statistically much more relevant) dangers that we've become inured to. I stumbled across a very flashy presentation of "How Americans Die", though, that took my mind off waiting for a report on the next case of Wuhan virus:

Edit: not sure why the link is titled "are you a robot"; hover on it to see the real URL, or add "www." and cut and paste this one: bloomberg.com/graphics/dataview/how-americans-die/

Motels, in general, are the pits for infectious diseases. When we travel it's in the RV. I know who used the bathroom and who slept in the bed last. Motel's scare me.

I made a quick drive to Colorado over MLK weekend to visit a friend. 1200 miles each way. I would rather sleep in the truck than stay at a hotel, and I did in Utah! Drove straight home on the holiday Monday. Hotels are gross, expensive, and have bed bugs plus who knows what.

No flue shots for me ever and I'm not worried about the sniffles from this corona virus that really sounds very mild. If you are already weakened for some reason then you might feel differently.

Last out west big game hunt I went on last year, we stayed in motels coming and going and everyone was basically filthy and one, I had to pick the bed bugs out of the bed before I could lay down Slept with my clothes on. Wasn't budget places either.

I lived in motels/hotels for 12 years working in construction. One time i found a syringe in my room on the shelf above where you hang shirts and coats. It had bed bugs terribly. That was it for me. I could go on and on lol. Cockroaches.....ughh....sends shivers down my back....and yea the media thrives on the hysteria and fear.

I spent over 60 nights in Hilton hotels last year with other nights at other hotels. I bring wipes for anything I touch and there are several things I will not touch in a hotel room. Same thing with the airplane, when I fly I ride upfront and have a couple good alcohol swabs to keep the germs at bay.

If I flew, which I never would, I'd get soused before getting on and sleep through the entire ordeal.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
I used to fly a lot and got all the shots, flu, hep A and B (potential international travel to third world) as air travel has a lot of exposure. Any surfaces in the plane are all potential virus vectors. Rarely does a virus travel directly by air, it gets coughed out and deposited on a surface where another person touches it and transfers it to their face. Some folks bring alcohol wipes and wipe down all surfaces they may touch when in the seat and wear gloves when entering and leaving the plane. Masks really do not do much to directly stop a virus but it does keep a person from touching their own face with potentially contaminated hands. The bigger exposure is in airport terminals, lots of people moving around touching surfaces. Most of the workers are low wage and do not have sick leave, most have no choice but show up to work sick.

Both my parents were in assisted living, they would lock the place down during flu season and hand Tamiflu around like candy and restrict the residents to their rooms delivering meals to them. Even with the precautions, flu season was the time of year when the waiting list got shorter. Folks typically wait until it gets cold and nasty in the fall to move in so the waiting list gets long, post holidays and flu season knocks down the list as people pass. They don't call these places "Gods waiting room for nothing" .

I read today that the average age of fatalities in China are 75 and most have other health conditions. Obviously real early to draw any conclusions but sounds like the typical fatalities associated with flu. Healthy folks get sick but those young and old with other conditions get it worse and some die. Best approach for most is keep healthy with good lung function meaning frequent aerobic exercise and definitely quit smoking if someone hasn't already done so.