Treasure in tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffman3

Hearth Supporter
Nov 20, 2007
S.W. Nebraska
I was cutting up some large locust, 36-40 inch across the cut. All is going well and then the saw jumps. I hit something hard! :gulp: I rolled the log over and worked slowly trying not to hit what ever it was. Two chains later, I finally got the round off the log after hitting what ever it was again. :grrr: I found a horse shoe right in the middle of this tree in an empty cavity. I bet that tree was 80 to 100 years old. I kept the shoe, don't know what I am going to do with it, but it tore up my chains pretty good, so I figure it's mine now. Anybody else find treasures in the middle of large old trees?

screwdriver nails fence

I've hit a bunch of copper jacketed bullets that beat up some teeth. Buckshot does less damage. Most of these objects were exposed while sawing lumber with a portable saw mill so I'm talking about literally several acres of sawn surface.

Maybe this says something about the hunting prowess of Mainers that they leave so many projectiles in the woods and not in game that went home with them.

Of course about 24 inches from the bottom, I cut into a white oak, and right at my cut a rock about the size of two fists. Two trees grew up and together, and grew around the rock! It sucked!

Usually thoug its nails, fence.............

A tree guy (30 years in the biz) has told me about a few interesting items...notably the unopened, like new, bottle of wine. How did it get in there? Well, if the tree was from about the time my kids were teenagers; (or heck, most of us ), a semi hollow tree hole makes a good stash spot for such an item. My guess is that it was stored and forgotten.

Friend told me once that he "found" an old resistor in a tree. That sucker was from the times they nailed the lines to the trees in the front yard. Killed a chain. Again a reason why you need to be careful taking logs that are from a business taking logs out of a yard. How many of us nailed about a million nails into a tree when they were young and just left them...
Chad

Not a terribly interesting treasure, but I once sawed into a cache of white landscaping stone that had somehow been gathered up by a big old yard maple. I have found assorted metal bits in other logs but have not yet hit one with the chain.

I did also get one with an extension cord that had been wrapped so tight that over the years it had grown into the tree. But it was far too obvious to count as hidden treasure.

I've found lots of nails, but only hit one or two with the chain... I've got one round waiting to split right now that has a big eyebolt in it, all I can see is the top of the ring.

Best one I've heard though, is the fellow that found a stainless steel maple sugaring tap - in an OAK!

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.