Tree Felling Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tradergordo

Minister of Fire
May 31, 2006
Phoenixville, PA
gordosoft.com
I found someone nearby who wants to remove a bunch of trees from his property - all hardwood, enough for all of next year's heating needs and possibly 2 year's worth to tell you the truth. This guy is obviously very cheap and does not want to hire a pro, he wants me to do it for the wood. I'm OK with that, as long as its safe. I've felled and bucked a lot of trees in my short lived status as a woodburner but I'm far far from being a pro. Anyway, after looking at the trees last night, I told the guy which ones I would absolutely not touch (too close to his house or shed) but there were still about 5-6 big trees that I consider reasonable, he has no close neighbors and lots of land, these trees pose little if any danger of hitting anything. But there is one tree in particular that I'm a little concerned about, and he basically said it is one that I must take down because its in the middle of his newly expanded driveway. The problem is that its about 2 feet from the road, and it has huge branches. The trees I've cut down thus far have been mostly dead, and without big branches. I've got a few questions:

1) How do you know if or when climbing and removal of branches is required? I absolutely will not do this, but I'd like to understand how I should know when it is required? Is it safe to cut down a big tree that has big branches without removing those branches first?

2) Do you think it would be a bad idea for me to fell a tree next to a somewhat busy road like this?

3) Anyone in the south-eastern PA area feel like helping? (its in Eagleville) I remember talking to at least one person from this forum in the area but now I forget who that was...

My advice to both of you is: Don't do it; it's not worth the risk.

Who's going to pay your hospital bill if you get hurt?

Who's going to pay for any property damage?

Who's going to dispose of all the branches and rake up the mess?

And so on.

IMO, the wood is not worth nearly enough to justify the risk.

Let me add to Eric's good advice:

Don't ever fell a tree within striking distance of a public road! Or any property line for that matter.

PS: If there are any power lines near that tree call the power company and tell them that you are thinking about cutting it down. They will run like hell to beat you to it and cut it down for you.

Some risks are just not worth taking for the wood alone. If there is that much wood available, and it's close to your location, I would suggest some kind of compromise.

Perhaps you can take down the trees you are absolutely confident that you can handle. Have the homeowner pay a professional to take down the others and you will cut them up and take the wood. I would also be sure to have a clear understanding of what is to be done as far as cleanup and disposal of the brush is concerned.

Without actually seeing the trees you are talking about it is impossible to say much about it. You have to be the judge.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. We actually did discuss most of these things. He is not liable if I injure myself, but he IS liable if I damage something - and if I do this work I would get that in writing just to cover my butt. He also agreed to dispose of leftover branches and cleanup the mess, he is also going to help out by loading the wood for me after its cut. But I'm not going to attempt anything high risk - (and really its just the one tree near the road with the big branches that I am concerned about). I like the suggestion of asking the guy to get a pro to take that one down then I will buck and haul the wood off.

Eric Johnson said:
My advice to both of you is: Don't do it; it's not worth the risk.

Who's going to pay your hospital bill if you get hurt?

Who's going to pay for any property damage?

Who's going to dispose of all the branches and rake up the mess?

And so on.

IMO, the wood is not worth nearly enough to justify the risk.

If there is enough quality wood there perhaps you hire a pro just to do the falling. When I ran my power in from the Hiway there was 4 trees that were either very near the power line or very near the Hiway (SR88 very busy ). I had a pro just fall em and it only cost me $150. I still had all the limbing and bucking to do but I got about 3 Cords outta the deal so I figured that wasnt to bad. Maybe you should get a pro to estimate the falling of the trees you are leery of and take on the rest yourself.

We may have chatted before. I'm near Montgomeryville, PA so I'm not far from you. I also routinely work in the Upper Providence area so I'm somewhat familiar with what you're speaking about. I've personally felled plenty of trees as a home-owner (non-professional) type and I will only do that for someone else when the following conditions are met.

1. I'm not held liable for any damage. (Now I've only done this for friends so no contract was required, but I wouldn't want to find out my signed form was worthless should I get sued.)
2. The base of the tree is 2 times its height away from any potential concern. This includes but is not limited to the following: power lines, roads, parked cars, garages, houses, sheds, fences, or anything else of value.
3. Its a tree who's wood is valuable as firewood.

If it doesn't meet these conditions I politely decline. I just got a quote to fell a tree and leave the bucking/chipping to me for $150. Maybe this land-owner would consider going that route and you could still do the cleanup work and get the wood. Personally if this guy does find someone desperate enough to take down the tree near the road, then I'd them have it. Its NOT worth the potential hassle. There will be plenty of other wood.

If you want help with the other/safer trees, PM me off-line and we can chat about it.

Eric

Yea, I think that's good advice. I have decided I am not going to attempt that tree, it isn't worth the risk, and if he doesn't want my free services for anything else then so be it. But I will explain that he can have a pro take down the trees I would not touch and I would be able to save him money by doing the bucking and hauling off of the wood...

But anyway - getting back to my original question - and maybe its too hard to answer without a picture - but I AM still curious - even if a tree could not possibly hit anything valuable - is there any kind of rule of thumb at all that says if its branches extend beyond a certain point they should be removed before felling? I mean I have seen some trees who's width of branches is almost equal to the height of the tree (I'm looking at one right now out my window) - is it ever safe to cut something down like that without removing branches first?

Well, that brings up the issue of hang-ups. If you hang a tree up, do you have the means to safely get it down? It's not safe to leave a hung tree, especially in a populated area.

Two big dangers with big limbs: 1.) The tree is more likely to hang up, and 2.) It's a lot more likely to kick back, barber chair, roll over or otherwise do something unexpected and potentially hazardous when those big limbs hit the ground.

Having said that, I think it's a lot safer to leave them on the tree and deal with them once it's (hopefully) on the ground, rather than risking your neck trying to cut them off while the tree is standing.

Hi -

I've been in similar straights. Homeowner hired a pro without telling me. I did stop by and ask again if the wood was spoken for. He said no. I asked the tree cutting crew about it. They knocked a hundred dollars off his bill and got out of there early. The tree cutters even adjusted the length of cut to 14-16" to accomodate me. Worked well for everyone. I bet I'll get more and better cooperation as word gets around.

ATB,
Mike P

Status
Not open for further replies.