Tree ID help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skier76

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 14, 2009
CT and SoVT
My boss just had this large standing dead tree cut down. He was nice enough to have the guy leave the wood; I pick it up today.

Any idea of what it is? All I know is that it's hardwood...and not pine. :lol:

Attachments

• IMG00186 (Medium).jpg
    IMG00186 (Medium).jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 649
  • IMG00187 (Medium).jpg
    IMG00187 (Medium).jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 643
  • IMG00188 (Medium).jpg
    IMG00188 (Medium).jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 608
Looks to me like White Ash or perhaps Norway Maple. Either way pretty decent wood.

looks like white oak to me

Skier76 said:
My boss just had this large standing dead tree cut down. He was nice enough to have the guy leave the wood; I pick it up today.

It looks like free wood. Free wood burns the best.

The bark reminds me of Aspen. The cut view though doesn't bear that out.

White Oak has finer,, thinner bark than that.

I would agree that some sort of maple or ash are definite possibilities.

Any pictures of the leaves? Compound could make it ash. Maple . . .well, I think EVERYONE in the NE USA and Canada recognizes Maple leaves.

First guess is Maple, but would need a leaf pic to be sure

I would say norway maple. Need more pictures to be sure. Could be ash, they look similar.

Skier76 said:

So, you live in Connecticut AND Vermont? What, was Connecticut NOT cold enough for you and you wanted a vacation home that really gave you the ball freezing cold you desired?

:)

BrowningBAR said:
Skier76 said:

So, you live in Connecticut AND Vermont? What, was Connecticut NOT cold enough for you and you wanted a vacation home that really gave you the ball freezing cold you desired?

:)

CT is too darn flat and doesn't get enough snow. VT has more mountains and more snow. Plus, it's a lot less muggy up there in teh summer. :)

No leaf pics guys; this tree was standing dead. I will get some better pics. These are just some taken with a BlackBerry. I'll dust of my digital when I get this stuff home after work.

So if this is indeed ash...I may actually have a shot at buring some of this over the winter? I plan on splitting this all once I get it home.

Skier76 said:

That's my wood!

Zap

Attachments

• zapswood.jpg
    zapswood.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 541
zapny said:
Skier76 said:

That's my wood!

Zap

Damn you Zap! I'm giong to double check those rounds again! :lol:

Standing dead more often sounds like ash than any other.

Bark looks like pin oak, but the grain doesn't look red enough.
The smell would be obvious.

Looks more like soft maple to me.
Doesn't smell like much of anything.

Never cut ash except for maybe saplings.

I'll get some better pics for you guys. While BlackBerry's take nice pics for phones, it's still no substitute for a decent digital camera. I'll try and get some better ones tonight after I haul a load or two home.

If you could post a picture of a split piece the grain would probably help to ID it. Either Ash or Maple like others have said...

Looks like the one I just cut down before it fell on my shed.

Attachments

• IMG_5613a.jpg
    IMG_5613a.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 359
sorry the picture doesn't show any detail. But it does really look like a dead ash as someone told me what I had.

sure looks like alot of maple going on in that forest

I would venture ash if it were around here because I have never seen norway maple but they must be similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.