Tree ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom123

Burning Hunk
Oct 11, 2014
East Granby CT
I was cutting red oak tops along the power lines this weekend. I took the photos below and I'm wondering what this tree is. I see quite a few around here in central Ct. Maybe some kind of poplar? a142f5c6feefb28a6853db01c37658dc.jpg3f5d3ca12ab5ef1419c1ac5a4875924b.jpgad1781f997c402fee83851a90c3e37bc.jpgb191cb99e884055281db5bb4cddc3403.jpg

Beech

I agree with the leaves, and pics two and three, but not the last pic.

The tree in the last pic is an oak. I included it for the leaves.

Beech x2. 100% great stuff.

Beech . . . the smooth bark of the tree is one hint (although sometimes a blight can leave it pockmarked with a look like a teenager with acne) . . . the other tell tale sign though is that beech is one of the few trees which will hold its dead leafs most, if not all of the way, through winter, long after other dead leafs have fallen off the tree.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Beech trees also tend to hang on to their twiggy lower branches, like what you see in picture #2. I discovered that every beech tree on my property has a branch that sticks out at exactly the height of my eyeballs. <>

Thanks all. I will have to see if Asplundh dropped any Beech.

I discovered that every beech tree on my property has a branch that sticks out at exactly the height of my eyeballs. <>

Nothing like a beech branch in the eyes to help you recall your tree ID! happens every year at least once for me <><>

Reactions: Hasufel
I stopped by the power lines on my way home from some errands today, I didn't have my equipment with me but grabbed a few 4 inch red oak logs. I noticed a nice beech down. My question is, if I go back once more should I concentrate on the oak or the beech. I will get some beech anyway to have some but what would you guys take first?

I've burned beech before years ago when I didn't dry properly and pay attention to btu's. This the first year in a while I have a large stack to burn. Most compare its btu's to oak. One thing I can say is it seasons much faster than oak. just under 2 years drying and moisture content is in the teens. I'd prob take it over red oak, but would take white oak over it.

Love beech. It does mold quickly if you don't season it in good sun and wind

Reactions: Tom123
It is hard to beat oak, but if I had lots of oak and no Beech, I'd get some Beech. I like variety.

Reactions: Tom123
Status
Not open for further replies.