Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
9062FBF6-6000-4989-BAAD-907699E4C1E1.jpeg 9430B67E-6A67-4ABD-B466-4206615EC898.jpeg F66DBD4F-0229-49DC-A40C-3A33E0F48E44.jpeg D90605F5-3EA1-48F9-B46C-D7EAE8D35521.jpeg scored a bit of wood from a nearby church today. It looked similar to some what I would call “ornamental cherry”, but wanted to put up pics to confirm.
I’m assuming that it was sane species as nearby trees, which looked like fruit trees to me (with very thick twigs for holding fruit). Let me know what you all think.

Ornamental cherry or crab apple seems like a good guess.

Looks like callery pear (Pyrus calleryana). It's an exotic, ornamental pear with many varieties, most selected for form, and the most well known (infamous) being Bradford, but other popular varieties include Redspire, Cleveland Select and Aristocrat.

I would think pear would be high BTU right?

I noticed that someone on another forestry site posted an unatributed list that included pear: "Pear, Bradford - 21.6 ".
If correct, that would place pear along with apple and ash - so not too bad.
While not a tough splitting wood, it does sometimes split kind of weird and inconsistent - flakey, and not straight.

Im going with callery pear as well. If it were in bloom in the spring there's no mistaking it. Sometimes called the semen tree because of the smell. I planted a line of them on my property bordering up against my neighbors house a few years back sort of as a joke lol.