Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lillyrat

Dec 23, 2007
Central Indiana
Was bucking up a downed tree today that I thought might be a big Poplar but when I got my saw in it, it was pretty evident it wasn't a Poplar at least not the Poplar I am use to cutting. When I got throug a round about feet in diameter, it had a dark brown core about an inch or two round. I went to split it and it was almost impossible to split and when I did finally get it to split it looked very similar to Sycamore but the bark looks nothing like Sycamore. I live in Indiana if that helps. Thanks,

Pic would help

Thats elm. Was the bark mostly gone?

Bark is still on the wood. I have a hard time describing bark. The bark on the base reminds me of poplar. I am obviously a novice in this area. Most of the wood I have access to is sassafrass, locust, Oak, and a little cherry, so those I can ID but I have no clue when I run across something different. I will see if I can get a pic posted up later today. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.